From:
Judith Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 23:57:43 -0000

Thanks for the many helpful suggestions.

One person suggested posting the name of the college.  Her child found there
were other celiacs at the same college.  My daughter will be attending
George Washington University in Washington DC.

Another suggestion is that she ask food service to keep her food in their
freezer.  They told us this was not possible because of health standards.  I
guess I'll have to investigate to see if this is true.  Only things I would
ask them to keep are prepackaged items bought from companies such as Energy
Foods, or the like.

The school was not too receptive to making her special foods.  Have to be a
little more aggressive with them.  One person said her child would look at
the weekly menu and ask that their food (meat, chicken) be cooked plain
without sauces, etc.

Will look into the large freezer/refrigerator for her dorm.

I don't feel all alone with this now.  It does help to talk to people with
similiar experiences.

I plan to share these responses with my daughter so she also will not feel
overwhelmed.  Luckily she has traveled abroad with her family and alone and
knows it is possible to live a "normal" life with celiac.  It just takes a
little more work.

I'll keep you up to date on our progress.

J. Russell