From:
Carol Arendt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol Arendt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2008 15:12:54 -0600

I posted yesterday my experiments with making waffles from your suggestions. This morning I popped 2 into my toaster & were great with 2 eggs.

So here I've posted all your suggestions, I'm copying & Pasting so I hope the numbers don't get mangled:
--------------------

You might try baking them just a little longer in the waffle iron. If you let are baking a big batch, keep them warm in a 275 degree oven to help keep them crisp. I freeze my leftovers and toast them in my toaster for another day. Jean
--------------------
I think the addition of extra melted butter in the batter will turn out a crispy GF waffle.In regular waffle batter that is the difference from pancake batter.In  Joy of Cooking their is a waffle recipe that I just used my GF flour mix for cup for cup.Add 3/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum and voila.Good luck Jeff in Balto
 --------------------
I Use the Kinnikinick mix. . .use a little extra oil for crispy. Also, dropthem in a toaster for a bit to crisp up.
---------------------
As a regular GF waffle eater (always from my scratch mixes - never frozen), I have had this problem also.Try substituting cornstarch for the tapioca in Bette Hagman's GF blend (which is 6 parts rice flour, 2 parts potato starch and one part tapioca) Cornstarch crisps better.I usually add cornstarch to the mix with tapioca, but have done without.my problem is I mix up about 4-6cups at a time, and some are better (in this case, crisper) than others as I also usually use almond meal and buckwheat and a bit of montina in the blend! & since this isn't a test kitchen - I don't take lots of notes... I also brush the surface of the waffle iron with a bit of butter or oil when it is hot, just before adding batter. & real maple syrup can cover many cooking sins.... I'll be looking for your summary! Jack
----------------------
You might try using applesauce and almost no liquid.
   Dwight
---------------------
Your pancake  recipe can probably be altered by separating the eggs and beating the egg whites until soft peak form before folding back into the batter just before baking in the waffle maker and doubling the oil.
Angela
---------------------
Here's the recipe I use. They come out crispy in my waffle iron.Hopefully, they'll work for you. You're welcome to pass on the recipeas long as Marlene's name is attached (I got permission to share therecipe from her cookbook).
PANCAKES OR WAFFLES(Marlene Mork)
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbsp. oil
3/4 cup rice flour
1/4 cup potato starch
2 Tbsp. tapioca starch (I would just use all potato starch, or substitute corn starch)
1 Tbsp. sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. Xanthan
1 Tbsp. bean flour (opt)

In large mixing bowl beat eggs; add milk, and oil; set aside. In medium mixing bowl mix remaining ingredients; stir into liquidingredients. If needed add more milk to desired consistency. Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons on hot oiled griddle. Cook over medium heatabout 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden brown. Turn to second sides when pancakes have bubbly surfaces and a fewbubbles have broken. Serve warm with butter and maple syrup or desired topping.

Apple Pancakes Add 1 finely chopped apple and 1 tsp. cinnamon to the above batter.
Buttermilk Pancakes Add 3/4 cup buttermilk in place of milk and 3 tsp. baking powder.
Blueberry Pancakes Add 1 cup frozen, fresh, or canned (drained), blueberries to the batter.
Sunflower Seed Pancakes Fold in 2 to 4 Tbsp. sunflower seeds to the above batter.

WAFFLES  Preheat waffle iron and spray with butter-flavored cooking spray. Mix as above except separate eggs and place in 2 bowls. Add egg yolkswith milk. Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into batter just beforecooking. Pour batter in waffle iron to cover about 1/2 of thegrids, close lid and cook according to manufactures instructions oruntil light goes off. Repeat with remaining batter.Serve warm with butter and maple syrup or desired topping.

Orange WafflesTo egg yolks add 1/3 cup orange juice in place of milk. Add dryingredients and beat until smooth. Fold in beaten egg whites.
Waffles - Beat 2 eggs, 1 1/2 c sour milk or buttermilk, 1/4 c vegetable oil. Add 2 c gf flour mix, 1 tsp salt, 3/4 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp xanthan gum, 1 tsp baking powder. Mix well and bake in preheated waffle iron. Fill iron quite full as this recipe does not raise too much. Powdered buttermilk also works but not as good.

GF Flour mix: 2 c brown rice flour, 2 c white rice flour, 1 1/2 c sweet rice flour, 1 1/3 c tapioca starch, 2/3 c cornstarch, 1/2 c rice bran and 2 tsp xanthan gum. Sift together several times. I usually 4x this recipe and keep extra in the freezer. Works well in all my old cookie & bar recipes - even rolled out sugar cookies. Jan from ND

Maple Syrup - 4 c sugar, 1/2 c brown sugar, 2 tbsp light corn syrup & 2 c water. Stir until dissolved. Boil 10 min gently. DO NOT STIR DURING COOKING. Remove from heat, cool slightly, and add 1 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp maple flavoring. Stir only until mixed.
We use the Joy of Cooking waffle recipe (we have to at least double it for our family of six) with a GF mix (4c brown rice, 2c white rice, 1c tapioca are the proportions of the mix)...we don't change anything else in the recipe.  The butter added to the batter is what really makes a difference and makes them crispy, but the buttermilk added is what makes them rise and get fluffy and crunchy at the same time.  They're awesome.  Sometimes we throw in some cornmeal, too.  Good luck!
Kate