From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 17:13:04 -0800

Thanks, everyone, for your replies to my query about unusually
long-lasting gut pain after a gluten attack. People offered various
possibilities, like bacterial imbalance (no -- I eat a lot of yogurt)
or flu (no, not that).

I guess my phrasing was ambiguous: as this was clearly a gluten
attack, my curiosity was about the Celiac/gut-related mechanism that
made it continue long after the triggering substance had left the
body. No one really had an answer to that, but a few people confirmed
that it could take more than a week for the effects of an attack to
dissipate.

A number of people said ".you obviously have....(fill in the blank;
lots of choices). While I appreciate the good intentions, I have to
say I think it is not wise to offer that kind of unilateral
diagnostic comment. Others cautioned against attributing all gut
problems to Celiac, certainly something of which all of us ought to
be aware.

Most of the answers recommended various anti-pain strategies. Many
have been posted before, but a repeat won't hurt:

gut pain remedies:

Here is what a celiac doctor told me to alleviate these symptoms:
eat bananas, papayas or papaya enzymes, and very important:  drink
aloe vera juice.  You can buy it at pharmacies, or at pharmacy dept.
in Walmart or Target too.
_____
You need to do 2 things...one, to stop the gut pain, take veratrum
alb 30c, 2pills
under the tongue as needed...available in health food stores for $5.
[my md told
me to take this] next...build up the gut by taking with each meal, 1
probiotics camplex capsule and
one l-glutamine capsule.
_______
My gastro said it was spasms and cramping in my intestines and
prescribed Bentyl to eat shortly before meals and before bedtime.  I
found that this medication helps and is not harsh on my system
______
You might want to try peppermint tea, peppermint oil
capsules, or fresh grated nutmeg for gas. These all really help me. You
can steep the nutmeg as a tea, add it to food, or just wash down a small
spoonful, it really works! ... Also, try Pitta Tea for gas. It's
really soothing. It's an Ayurvedic tea
by Maharishi Ayur-Ved. Most health stores will carry it. It has all the
good carminative herbs like cardamom, ginger, and even rose petals.
___________
I have noticed that if I take 1 Immodium tablet it settles down both
the speed of my intestines and the
associated pain.  Another possibility is to take an antacid, like Rolaids,
to sooth things.
____________
Try POM juice, about 8 ounces a day. It takes about a month before you start
feeling really good from it. I've just gotten to where I drink about 8
ounces of it every day now have been doing this for 6 months now. Now when I
get accidents like you had it is bad for about a few days. A few times it
was only bad for about 2 days. I buy the juice at the local supermarket,
Safeway or Albertson's out here in California. Their web site for the juice
is here: http://www.pomwonderful.com/ I don't work for them, don't know
anybody who does.

The juice is not a cure for CD but is more of like a medicine that helps
your system recover more quickly from the damage it causes. It is really the
only thing I've found that actually helps you recover quicker from accidents
when they happen......I've tried some of the other commercially produced
juices
and have found them watered down and loaded with corn syrups and such,
sugared up, and they act like drinking grape juice when you drink them, the
don't do anything. This POM stuff is the only one I've found where it acts
as if you ate a whole pomegranate in a glass and the stuff in pomegranates
is apparently very healthful on the system of this celiac.

Thanks again to everyone who responded,
Mary Brown