From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 11:14:43 -0500

@22

>As an RN, speaking from the experience of 30 years as a newborn
>nurse, and Neonatal Intensive Care, there are times we do not know
>what the stressors were during the pregancy.  Mom may never even
>know the baby was stressed.  The cord being around the neck for a
>few hours, then unwinding, may never be known or seen, but oxygen
>depletion from neck compression or cord compression is definately a
>stress.  The baby always shunts oxygen to his brain under stress,
>but that could be the stressor to the body that sets off unknown
>complications.

>I was told by celiac experts that a child cannot develop CD until they have
>been ingesting gluten (like at 6 months of age).  They have to have the gene,
>a triggering factor and ingesting gluten in order to develop CD.

>Birth is traumatic.  If you need to find a trigger for your son's
>celiac, I would be more likely inclined to consider that, rather
>than try to place blame on yourself for something that is in the
>past and can't be changed.  Life is too short.  Enjoy your health.
>Also, if you would like to find a humorous bend (I always look for
>those) maybe your son's celiac was triggered because like you said,
>he was hyperactive in utero, and in the process of being born, he
>had to be still for a while.

>Yes, this also happened to us.  No one in our family has been diagnosed with
>celiac, I however question whether or not my father-in-law has celiac (blood
>tests were negative).   Anyway, our first born was 16 weeks premature.  He
>was diagnosed with failure to thrive and had a section of his intestines
>removed due to infection.  He started gaining weight when given breast milk
>and was released from the hospital four months later.  He began having
>celiac symptoms with his very first taste of barley cereal and various baby
>foods (he did fine on rice cereal).  The pediatrician said he just had a
>stomach virus and because of prematurity, it would take longer to rid
>himself of it.  One month later, unsatisfied with the doctor's response I
>began logging everything he ate and noticed a common thread.  Grain.  Many
>baby foods six years ago had wheat or oat flour in them.  I questioned his
>surgeon as to whether the surgery caused the celiac.  He said possibly,
>however, the prematurity itself may have caused it.  He's been gluten-free
>for 6 years and doing great.  You'd never know what he's been through.  So,
>no one in our family has been diagnosed, yet our son has Celiac probably
>caused by a traumatic event.

>  I thought I'd read in some doctor's account, somewhere that
>people can be born with it, it just doesn't happen as often.  I wouldn't
>doubt that my brother had that problem, as he was born mentally retarded.
>There's plenty of trauma available in the womb, every disease you had would
affect him or her, getting hot, etc.

>I think that you are right about the fact that what we ate while
>pregnant affected our children: with the first one I was forcing
>myself to drink milk for the calcium, and he is the one who had the
>incredible pre-natal hiccoughs and kicking, and the first time I put
>him down in his crib, he crawled to the other end! He was also very
>allergic to dairy for about 13 years but can now tolerate it without
>caution.  He is now the calm intellectual one though, and it is his
>calm baby brother who has the tremendously awful reactions to gluten
>(and drinking milk is not so good either, though eating cheese and
>yogurt seem fine, and milk used in foods seems fine - just can't
>drink down glassfuls without becoming mean and rude).

Ed. comment: Yikes - I can really resonate with the reference to a
child who becomes 'mean and rude' after drinking milk or eating
gluten.