From:
Kevin Seplowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Seplowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 16:47:10 -0400

Dear listmates,

I was hoping some on you could help me.  I contacted a fairly well known
doctor dealing with celiac trying to find some information about the
correlation between gluten/celiac and autism.  My message was:

Dear Dr. xxxx:

I was wondering if you were familiar with any physicians in the NYC area
that work with autism and have become advocates for the gluten-free
casein-free diet.  I met a women the other day that does a lot of work
with autistic children and she was very interested in the connection.

To which I received the following reply:

"kevin
the diet / autism connection is very tenuous
I know of no reputable people interested"

Now, I know people with autism that have had success on a gluten-free
casein-free diet, so the above response baffles me.  Does anyone know of
published papers dealing with this subject and/or has an experience they
can share (please let me know if the person was also diagnosed with
Celiac sprue) that can add credence to the potential benefit of the diet
for autistics.

I have no interest (presently) in showing that gluten/casein causes
autism, but I would like to gather evidence that the diet can benefit
some people and it is probably worth the effort to see if it will help
any individual.

I will post a bibliography of the references I receive for others.

Thank you, Kevin