Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 18:46:46 -0500

Hello to all,

I received a lot of good advice and information on the problem of calcium loss in urine. I have some decisions to make, and I truly appreciate all of you advice.

Below are the responses I received. I thank you all and will take ALL into consideration. I did go to my pharmacist with the perscription to find out what he had to say, and his advice was not to go on the medication, given my problems with low blood pressure and dehydration. I asked him how many milligrams are in the perscription Vitamin D. I found that it is not a problem for me to increase the Vitamin D that the Physicians Assistant told me not to do. Well, I have, and also added B12 which is supposed to help with absorption of the Vitamin D. I will be talking to my doctor. Some of you mentioned checking parathyroid, and thyroid. I do also have Hashimoto's.  I was also advised that dairy can do the same dammage to the gut lining. I am dairy intolerant, but I had fallen off of the dairy free wagon during the time of stress, previous to my appointment with the doctor (when my urine was tested). That could have been what caused the problem. Anyway this is a start, and I appreciate your help.

Summary Part I
+++++++++++++
 I'd be more concerned with your vitamin D deficiency than the calcium.
IIRC, D is need for calcium uptake and if this is the case, then if you
correct the D part, then the calcium may well take care of itself.  You
might want to consider taking large quantities of cod liver oil.
+++++++++++
Since fibromyalgia is not a disease but a description of symptoms, I
personally would pass on the HCTZ (esp. with the other problems going
on)
I have very low blood pressure - usu. 85-90/60 - and I used to get
dizzy with Hypotension as well. But I have had very few episodes
since being gluten, casein, egg and yeast free for the past 2.5
years. I had urinary frequency that drove me crazy but that went away
too. If you are carb free, does this mean only proteins and no fruit
and vegetables????

Hhmm.... Is it possible to drink so much water that you flush too
many minerals out?
+++++++++++++++

I constantly am told I have blood in my urine. I also went to the urologist for testing and I also did not have  urinary tract infection.  I wasnever told that I was losing calcium in my urine but I too have osteopenia.
++++++++++++++++++++
 According to Michael N. Marsh, it is common for untreated celiacs to absorb
normal amounts of calcium but to lose more than they absorb. Is it possible
that you have other food allergies that continue to damage your intestinal
mucosa? Milk protein allergy has been reported to have this impact on some
individuals. Fibromyalgia is sometimes helped by dietary exclusion of dairy
products.
+++++++++++++++++
I would be very careful with trying this diuretic for your fibro.  The way you have told the story, I think you do suspect yourself that it is a strange Rx, may interact with the NMH, and even worsen things.  If your doc can explain his med/sci rationale for doing this, you understand & agree w/the interpretation, maybe OK.  Otherwise, maybe time for a new doc.

Have you had calcium actually measured in your urine to be abnormally high?  Is your blood calcium level OK, as well as other indicators of parathyroid function?

I realize you are seeing an endocrinologist, but can't help wonder how your thyroid & adrenal function is w/that low low BP.  If you haven't gotten actual hard copies of your test results, they are yours by law & are often informative.  Where one lies within the reference range on a "normal" test result is often instructive.  Then too, most labs in the USA, & not all docs, are using the Am Acad of Endocrinologists "new" (2002) reference ranges for thyroid.

If you are deficient in Vit D, that alone could account for your calcium issues.  It often takes a "prescription strength" vit D to remedy this situation, beyond the 800 IU you are now taking.  Let's hope that solves it.  If not ...

You indicate a low carb diet.  I'm guessing this may translate to a moderately high protein diet?  Dietary protein is correlated with calcium loss ...  that's how come veggie elephants can retain enough calcium to build & maintain their massive bone structure.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/63/5/735  will lead you to an abstract confirming something that has been known for quite a while, that a high sodium diet also results in calcium dumping in urine.  It's possible you are adding the sodium due to adrenal issues causing dumping ... when you go for blood tests you might consider preparing by keeping a "normal" sodium intake a few days beforehand.

Very commonly,  caffeine intake results in calcium loss through diuresis.  In addition, acid/base balance within the body can affect calcium retention.

With regard to kidney stones, some forms of calcium supplements are more prone to contributing to stone formation. For example, calcium oxide & calcium carbonate.  If the calcium supplements are not in a particularly absorbable form (hard tablets, or oxide or carbonate), dumping may occur through feces.  A lot of stomach acid is needed to dissolve & make these pills absorbable.  Sometimes folks do better with a liquid, softgel, or chewable calcium.

With the citrate/malate forms of calcium you absorb twice as much calcium as with common carbonate forms.  They are not as likely to contribute to kidney stone formation.

Taking calcium with an acid, like OJ or tomato juice, may help absorption.
 I have not been told that I was losing calcium in urine but I do have osteoporosis and take Fosomax.  I also take 500 mg Magnesium 2 times a day in addition to 1500 mg of calcium.  My endocronologist just put me on a regimen of vitamin D.  In addition to the D which is added to my calcium and multi vitamin pill daily, I take one 50,000 unit prescription ordered vitamin D capsule weekly.