Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 2010 07:57:02 -0500

I received a few replies to my query about Tapioca Starch
"Has anyone noticed that some packages of tapioca starch can have an
"off" flavor not unlike lobster?  Tapioca starch is supposed to have a
neutral flavor, but sometimes it tastes pretty nasty.  I am wondering
what the cause of the nasty flavor is, and whether there are particular
sources that are more reliable than others."

    Two people wrote about particular products.

    Steven Rice of Authentic Foods wrote: "That is there are two kinds
    of tapioca, Sour and sweet.
    The Sweet has a neutral flavor and that is the only one we sell at
    Authentic Foods."

    The other person said that they have  ordered tapioca starch in 25
    pound bags from Bob's Red Mill for
    9 years and have never experienced the offensive flavor you are
    describing.

I ordered tapioca starch from Authentic Foods and it is indeed neutral in flavor!

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Alice