From:
Walter & Susan Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 May 1996 17:26:22 -0500

Amy and Shashi, and other listmates,

I think a lot of us who have been so graciously received on this list who
came here from the autism list need to tell you others how grateful we are
for both your hospitality and your knowledge of how to live happily
gluten-free.  I hope you know we couldn't have done it without you!

It just occurred to me when I got some very nice posts from Amy and Shashi
today, that no-one may have mentioned why we g/f c/fers also do the epsom
salts. One of the autism mom's, Candace Timpson, got the notion to see if
the sulfate in epsom salts could be absorbed through the skin after she
became acquainted with the research of a Dr. Rosemary Waring in England.
This researcher has found that some people seem to have a poorly functioning
enzyme called phenolsulfotransferase which needs a ready supply of sulfate
to do its job of detoxifying phenols from the body.  This malfunction has
been tied to the phenomenon of the leaky gut that seems to permit
neuroactive fractions of wheat and milk to be absorbed into the blood
stream.  Once there, the body seems to confuse them somehow with its own
normal neurotransmitters, such as the endorphins. I believe Dr. Waring has
associated this phenomenon with migraine headaches (the pain of mine went
away on the diet), autism, and in some ways to alzheimers.  I haven't yet
had the opportunity to read any of her earlier papers on alzheimers.

When my daughter and I improved on the diet/epsom salts regime, a series of
events occurred which led me to try the same regime on my dad who has
alzheimers, and the most obvious first reaction was an immediate solution to
his chronic incontinence problems.  His memory improved somewhat, but
recently I was terribly shocked to find out, because of an accidental
omission of the salts for the last few weeks, that the salts themselves were
helping him tremendously.

My own observations have made me suspect that this enzyme problem could
effect a lot of people with autoimmune illness. I've had three autoimmune
diseases, and have neither celiac nor developmental problems, but I've
benefited on the program. Since celiac is an autoimmune illness, I suppose
there is a possibility that the epsom salts could be of benefit to celiacs,
perhaps by improving the integrity of mucous and perhaps (?) other membranes
elsewhere in the body.  I look forward to seeing other research that
identifies how the undersupply of sulfate could have occurred, and to
explore whether this undersupply of sulfate could, in fact, influence other
enzyme, hormone, or other metabolic systems in the body.

I feel that it is important to look at what illnesses have occurred in your
own family, and if you see a large representation of autoimmunity,
developmental problems, alzheimers, migraines, miscarriage or
biochemically-related psychological problems, then you might do well to look
into this research and decide for yourself whether this regime might be
worth trying.  It is certainly not all that different from what you are
doing already if you are gluten-free.  It also might be that some of your
family members would have some of these other problems and might not have
thought to join you in your diet.  That is certainly the case in my family!

Well, thanks again for all your help, and I hope there is something in here
that will provoke a bit of thought...

Best wishes,

Susan Owens

                            (Walter & Susan Owens)