From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2001 16:38:04 -0700

Several people have suggested the following website:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/980301ap/pruessn.html

It is intended to help docs diagnose celiac disease. I think we could point
to a couple of things it might have missed, but in general I thought it was
the best overall and helpful website I've seen. And several things on it
surprised me. I have included some of these things below (the ones that I
could get the gist of in short text bytes without quoting too much). -vance

It is written by HAROLD T. PRUESSNER, M.D., who is now retired. He was
formerly professor and chairman of the Department of Family Practice and
Community Medicine at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston:

Among blood donors, the prevalence of asymptomatic celiac disease was found
to be as high as one in 266.

There have been numerous reports of children and adults with seizures
[often diagnosed as epileptic] associated with celiac disease.

31 patients with epilepsy and cerebral calcifications (a reported
complication of celiac disease) underwent blood screening and endoscopy.
Of these patients, 24 were diagnosed with celiac disease.  The authors of
this study found that a gluten-free diet was only beneficial in affecting
the clinical course of epilepsy if the diet started soon after the onset of
the seizures.

Fifteen of the 35 patients had been seen--with unexplained symptoms and
abnormal blood tests--for an average of 28 years by their family physicians
or in hospital outpatient departments before the diagnosis of celiac
disease was made.

Treatment for celiac disease is a strict gluten-free diet. This includes
elimination of the storage proteins (prolamines) of wheat, barley, rye and
oats.

Lactose intolerance in 50 percent of patients with gastrointestinal symptoms.

[I would comment here that you may well not know if you are lactose
intolerant.  I drank a quart of milk a day and thought milk settled my
stomach. When my doc told me I was lactose intolerant I thought he was
crazy. But after three weeks of avoiding all dairy, when I accidentally got
half a teaspoon of milk in something, I had no further doubts that I was
lactose intolerant. My wife wouldn't go in the master bath for three days :]

[I should also mention that many younger celiacs can return to milk after
a  year or two when the villi in their small intestine is thoroughly healed
(since the tips of the villi produce the lactase that allows us to digest
milk sugar and the tips are the first damaged and the last to heal). But
since some people do become lactose intolerant as they age, a lot of us old
raisins won't ever be able to return to dairy.] (Sob) -vance