From:
"Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 1995 10:19:26 PST

Amy said:
>...I thought CD
>was a intestinal problem with gluten getting in to the intestine and
>damaging the villi.  Now, how does a skin care product affect the intestine,
>if it were absorbed thru the skin, wouldn't it be in the bloodstream? .

In reply:

I am not personally aware of any published evidence that gluten
exposure by way of the skin is harmful to celiac patients. I think this
concern has no more factual basis than the harmful peptides or proteins
in grain alcohol story. In previous postings to this list, some celiac
patients reported kneading wheat flour doughs and baking wheat bread
for non-celiac family members without noticing any effects or problems.
There may be people with allergies to wheat or wheat products that show
up as a skin response, but this is not likely to be the same as celiac
disease.  In the absence of solid information showing harmful effects
from gluten containing skin products, it is difficult for me to
understand why they should be avoided by celiac patients.

Donald D. Kasarda