From:
Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 1996 16:47:36 GMT

The Listowners are happy to announce that we now have 1700 subscribers
from 30 countries.

As we continue to grow the volume of mail is one of the greatest reasons
cited by departing subscribers.  To reduce this overload we ask that you
think about each post and the best way to obtain the information.
Reading reference files such as the FAQ and performing database
searches are the primary techniques that can be used.

When asking questions about products, please contact the company first
by mail or 800 number whenever possible.  There are times when this is
not possible.

It is critical that when talking about products that you state the
source of information, for follow-up by other subscribers who have
additional sensitivities.  The fact that you can eat a product without
symptoms does NOT mean you can state it is gluten-free.  Conversely,
if a product causes symptoms in you, that does NOT mean you can state
it contains gluten.  Additionally, when using brand names, please
state the country of orgin.  The recent problems with Corn Pops and
their difference between Canada and the US is a good example of extra
mail that could have been avoided.

When replying to messages, think about the contents of your reply.  If
you add additional information that would benefit others, then it is
best to reply to the List.  But if you are sending a note of support
or replying with information that the original poster is going
to summarize, then it is best to reply to the individual and not the
List.

If you see a post that is of interest and several days have passed
without a summary, drop a note to that person (but not to the List)
asking for an update.  Many posts do not receive answers but your note
can function as a reminder to summarize the information.

Please do not send a message to the person and CC (copy) it to the
CELIAC List.  Most CCs become errors that never make it to the List.
Also, this means that the person will receive two copies of the
message; one from you and one from the List.

These are guidelines that we hope will improve the quality of the List,
while reducing the volume of the List.  We just ask that you try your
best and are always considerate of your fellow subscribers.

When sending commands (GET, subscription changes, etc.) to the
LISTSERVE, please add the following command as the last line.

// EOJ

(Note: There is a space between the // and the E.)  This command stops
errors that are produced when your mail program adds an automatic
signature to the message.

On the average, there are about 12 messages sent from the List each
day.  If the system is not available for a period of 24 hours, I will
send a message to all subscribers, as was done for the last outage.

If you go two or more days without receiving mail from the List, then
your mail may have been temporarily "turned off".  This is what I do
when several messages sent by the List are returned because of errors,
as these errors have a significant impact on system performance.  Such
errors can occur if your provider is down for maintenance or has an
unplanned outage.

If you suspect your provider had a mail outage, just send this command
to: [log in to unmask]

SET CELIAC MAIL

This works regardless of the type of mail being received (individual
messages or digest).  For those who receive the E-Digest, please send a
note to my ID.

----
Michael Jones ([log in to unmask]) Orlando, FL USA
One of the Celiac & Cel-Kids Listowners