From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 12:52:44 -0800

Since so many of  us celiacs have migraines, I thought I'd mention
what I've learned about them:

First, I read a study some years ago in which they were testing to
see if half an aspirin a day would help prevent additional heart
attacks. One completely unexpected result they found that it
helped those with migraines by 80 percent. They didn't say
whether this meant that 80 percent of them had no more migraines,
or if their migraines were cut by 80 percent. When I started it,
it stopped about 95 percent of mine, so perhaps it's a little of both.

Second, I'm constantly surprised, with all the really heavy duty
drugs they hand out for migraine, that what I think is by far the
mildest and most effective remedy is overlooked so much. My
doc started me on Fiorinal some 35  years ago. It's a mild med
and has stopped any headache I've ever had, even when narcotics
like Vicoden and Percocet wouldn't stop it. It's a combination of
mostly aspirin with a touch of barbiturate and caffeine. It is mildly
addictive, but not if you take less than six  per day, and I've never
needed more than two. And it has always so far stopped the
headache with just one pill.

A single pill has stopped any migraine I've had if I catch it when
the neon lights first start flashing. If I wait till the headache and the
nausea hits, it takes two, but they do stop it rather quickly.

Fioricet is the tylenol version of the same thing with no aspirin. So
if you can't find or avoid the triggers, you might be interested in trying
this. Every doc I've ever had hasn't hesitated to write me a
prescription when I asked.

I've also found that with me and many others, flourescent lights,
which stimulates heavy ACTH (the "fight or flight" hormone), can
bring one on, rarely, but reading for a couple of hours or more
under flourescents will usually do it. And when I have it bad,
flourescents make it much  worse. If I have to be under them,
I wear a baseball cap to sheild my eyes from them.
-vance

Q: When you pat a dog on its head, he will usually wag his tail.
What will a goose do?
A: Make him bark.