Date:
Sat, 27 Dec 1997 20:10:34 -0600

I recently purchased a pastry mix from Celimix at a local health food store.
It states on the label that it is "for gluten restricted diets"   However
the main ingredient is wheat starch as well as whey powder, guar gum, salt,
sodium bicarbonate and vegtable oil.  I remember (vaguely) a discussion on
the list awhile ago about wheat starch being used without reaction.  But if
I remember correctly, that was a subject for much debate as to whether it
was possible to ingest it without reaction.  I am wondering if this would be
a safe product to use.  It seems to be clearly designed for celiacs, however
the wheat starch is making me wary.  I would appreciate other's experiences
or opinions here.  The company that makes the Celimix brand is Nelson David
of Canada (out of Winnipeg Manitoba)