From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2010 21:59:02 -0400

Here's more....You wouldn't believe how many replies I got. Thank you to everyone.

 Looking through the most recent version of the book [http://www.atkins.com/AtkinsBook.aspx], it seems very GF friendly as well (just by coincidence, of course -- I don't think they give a darn about celiac disease).

nuts, in small amounts, and raw vegetables

I think that you should check the carbs on the labels. You do not have to eliminate all sugars just make sure you count carbs. I have the blueberry chobini for breakfast everyday and I do fine. I also sometimes use them for a snack. I try to keep carbs under a certain amount everyday. I guess that you have to find out which fruits have less. Blueberries are good as are raspberries. Of course you have to check the amount you are having. I cannot have any artificial sugars so I have to rely on natural sugars. Eliminate for a while bread, cookies and cakes. 1/2 of a small banana is OK. Just check with the doctor or the internet to see how many carbs they recommend daily or at one time. IF you are checking your sugars then you will see what makes it go up too much. I think that the diabetic websites give you an idea how much your sugars should be a certain time after you eat.

Nothing says you can't take plain yogurt & add lemon pepper & veggies like cucumbers--Kind of like sipping ranch dressing.
You mention South Beach---You might want to take a look at the Rosedale Diet book.. Dr. Rosedale is a diabetic doctor in the Denver area & this is explanation on food/energy that make sense since it matches how I seen my grandkids grown. The eat like monsters getting cheeks on top & bottom, then quit eating while to sleep & grow.  At 95% on the grownth chart, you notice when the shoot up another half inch because they can reach new stuff on the counters or wall.
Calories from carbs are store as fat for energy to keep body alive in times of famine.  Grownth & repair comes from protein & healthy fats rice in Omega 3s, which are naturaly anti-inflammatory agents.   Body can make enery for protein & fats if needed, but carbs either burned for enery now or stored as saturated fat for energy later.
I have problems doing most vegetables (an acquired nitrate sensitivty) so I just cut my carbs in half, eating more protein (I was carb heavy/protein light) & switched to healthier oils.  I lost lots of inflammation/water which was more inches than pounds but moving is so much lighter.  My pudgy celiac fingers actually look longer since they aren't so puffy!
The starches--corn, potato, tapioca, white rice, have nearly as many calories as sugar. If you can increase the protein & healthy fats (like almond flour or whole grains) you can cut carbs. There's a diabetic site out there that uses almond flour for baking.

If you cut out all grains your blood sugar should stabilize.  For snacks you have a protein such as boiled eggs, nuts, and meat - you can take leftover meats with you with a little insulated bag & a frozen thingy from the freezer - forget what you call those things!  You can also get Jones Canadian bacon & freeze it - cut the package in half & put in a baggie by the time you are ready to eat it - it will be thawed...  If you eat enough meat & the good kinds of fats you probably will not want a snack.
 good fats are coconut oil, olive oil - never heated, all meat fat & bacon grease, avocadoes, & nuts

I follow the Atkin's Diet and find lots of things to eat - even more easily and sometimes cheaper than just gluten free foods.  I go to www.netrition.com for the best foods and prices.  Dixie Diner's foods are great except for the pasta items.  Just google any foods you find at Netrition for the manufacturer and you will be busy all day findings all kinds of treats.  I have even found low carb, gluten free rice krispie treats that I have to not buy as once I open the gigantic portions I have to eat them all! They are Eat Rite crisp bars.  Their website is www.buyeatritenow.com

Costo has a huge box of g/f Crunchmaster
multi seed crackers that are fantastic and they have 1 carb each.  I have diabetes
and eat them a lot with peanut butter on them.

Agave nectar is a great low-glycemic sweetener, and I mention that because if you add some to the 0% plain Greek yogurt it's really amazing.  I know you were looking for fruity, but would you settle for sweet and incredibly creamy?!
 Glutino makes some good breakfast/snack bars made from chickpea flour + fruit filling.  Very satisfying.
 Fiber is a big thing for us.  Enjoy Life makes several good granolas, also Udi's granola, if you have a Whole Foods nearby those are both available.  Udi's uses GF oats and their stuff tastes fantastic.