From:
Dan Steigelman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Steigelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:52:58 -0500

Sorry the last message appeared short. I was logged off the website while I
was writing and most of what I wrote was erased.

I visited WDW (Walt Disney World, Orlando Florida) in February for a
weekend. I had 3 sit-down meals that were great. Pay attention to all the
comments posted to the list regarding reservations at WDW. Call ahead to
407-WDW-DINE, and that prepares the kitchen to be ready to do some magic
and prepare meals GF. Worked like a champ every time. I called ahead about
24 hours ahead, but they recommend up to 72 hours' planning.

Breakfast at Chez Mickey at Contemporary Resort: buffet style breakfast.
Chef came out and indicated which items in buffet were GF. Very helpful -
most of the items in the buffet turned out to be GF (of course, waffles,
bagels, doughnuts, etc were not). Also, they had 3 varities of Van's GF
waffles on hand - I had one of each. The chef was willing to prepare them
with just about any topping I could think of. Very helpful. Bonus: it's a
character breakfast, so I ate well AND got pictures with Minnie, Pluto, and
Goofy.

Dinner at Kona Kafe at Polynesian Resort: menu-based dinner. Menu is
predominantly Pacific seafood / Asian. The chef I worked with was Bubba -
not kidding - that was his name. Most of the menu items were made with
wheat-based soy sauce, but Bubba said they had a wheat-free tamari soy
sauce on hand, so we were able to work around that. He specially prepared
the entire meal for me. He created a GF marinade for buffalo wings that
were otherwise made with a wheat-based soy sauce; prepared a grilled fish
(ok, fairly typical), and prepared a creme brulee that was pretty good (I
think it may have been off the menu and specially done).

Dinner at Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge: buffet style dinner. African
influences, all wonderfully delicious, huge varierty of flavors, meats,
vegetables, salads. etc. EAT DINNER AT BOMA!!! If you eat anywhere at WDW,
ensure Boma is on your itinerary. A chef (whose name I don't remember)
walked me through the buffet and indicated which entree, sauce, salad, soup
were GF - *very* knowledgeable about each item. A few dishes that looked
particularly appetizing were made with a wheat-based soy sauce. I asked him
if there was any way to prepare small portions of these items GF, and he
told me to get start with the GF buffet items and he'd work on adapting
the "forbidden" items to GF. I went through the buffet line twice and got
rather full. After about 45 minutes' time, the chef came out with a
combination dish of the 3-4 items I really wanted a taste of (mahi-mahi,
mussels, a greens plate, maybe something else). It was dramatically
presented on a large iron plate from the more expensive restaurant next
door. The food was about a 6 inch stack of fish, mussels, and greens,
topped excessively with dry-rice noodles so that the whole effect was I
could have had this and nothing else and still been full. People around our
table gawked, and one gentleman walked by and whined "hey - THAT wasn't on
the menu!!" The dessert buffet is, sadly, mostly pastries/cookies/cakes. I
asked the chef for sorbet or ice cream, but he said he'd make a special
dessert. 20 minutes later, out comes a bowl of coconut milk/avocado and I
don't remember what else that was, again, absolutely delicious. Nothing
comparable was available to the other diners. My fiance and I had so much
to eat that we didn't have anything but small snacks until the following
night.

In summary, Boma provided the best dinner I've ever had (I've been GF for
almost 3 years), and dining overall at WDW was a stress-free experience.
Every chef I talked with was willing to bend over backwards to create a
delicious GF meal, from appetizer to dessert, especially the Boma chef.

Hope this helps!