From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 00:41:22 -0500

Dear LIST members,  This is a second message from Dr. Jack Maines,
written after reading the first three summaries.  I will include his
address so that you may contact him if you have further information
to send to him. His message arrived Saturday evening, and my head is
buzzing, wondering whether or not YOU all have arrived at a new
avenue for celiac research.  Sorry I can't take any credit, but all I
did was ask a question and try to put together the summary of your
answers.

The mail is flying in on our computer, and if you write to ask to be
put in touch with anyone, or want to refer to anything in the
summaries, please refer to the Roman Numeral of the summary and the
number of the response, so I can find your reference.  Thank you.
Gayle Kennedy

Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 21:30:14 -0500
From: Jack and Phyllis Maines <[log in to unmask]>
To: George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: another thought

Gayle-  those are some responses.  It seems unquestionable that
people are describing their baby's sensitized intestinal state on day
one (or day two or three) whenever it is that the mother's milk comes
in or the child is first fed formula. And that sensitization depends
on prior exposure which ipso facto is intra uterine.  Therefore it
has to have come from the mother's blood- gluten or casein peptides
absorbed through a leaky gut and probably different from the opioid
peptides we know about.  I'm guessing that one of your respondents is
correct in suggesting that only the super sensitive babies react.

I hope Kalle Reichelt, the Norwegian MD who first isolated opioid
peptides in the urine of  untreated celiacs reads your posts.  He or
someone like him probably can answer the questions your thoughts have
unearthed.  Perhaps Allesio Fasano at the University of Maryland,
also. Dr Fasano published his work about this time last year on a
protein molecule he discovered which opens up "leaks" between the
cells of the intestine and allows large molecules to enter the blood
stream.  I haven't seen anything more on the subject but will keep
looking. Congratulations-nice piece of work.  No need to say so, but
it completely vacates my ideas (which you posted and  I appreciate
your doing so).  I never thought of other antigenic milk and gluten
peptides entering the fetus's blood via the placenta, reaching the
intestinal villae via the circulation, and creating the celiac
condition.  By the same reasoning other antigens could enter adult
circulation  thru the skin, the lungs, the tears and sexual
intercourse.  We need an expert to figure this one out..Jack

--- end forwarded text