Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 21:42:49 EDT

A friend has a graduating high school senior daughter who is a celiac and
will be going to Michigan State University as a freshman in the fall.
Communication with the university concerning the gluten-free diet and how the
daughter will be accommodated is not producing the desired answers.  The
family has asked me to post the following questions and see what help you
folks can be to them.

  1.  Is celiac disease considered a disability under the Americans for
Disability Act, Section 504?  If it is, does anyone have a written
citation stating such.  Does anyone recommend going this route?  Does
anyone have any experience with this route?

  2.  Does anyone have any suggestions on working with a university as a
freshman and accommodating a celiac diet?

I will pass on any information I receive and post a summary back to the list.
 Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Tom Sullivan