Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:55:32 -0700

Hi there, I'd like to get some opinions on a diagnosis that has just been given to me. My daughter was diagnosed with CD 2yrs ago. After her tests and biopsy came back my husband, other daughter and myself had blood tests done as well. We all came back with negative results for having active CD, but the tests showed that myself and my other daughter both carry the gene.
I've had different GI problems as well as infertility issues and weight issues. My GI doc decided he wanted to biopsy me just for fun :). When the tests came back my doc told me to go on the GF diet because he thought it might help, but that the biopsy wasn't a clear-cut diagnosis. He said my lining looked like that of a person who took Ibuprofen daily, and when I told him that I didn't he said "well then it must be CD." I went on the diet and have been on the diet now for 6mths. Some of my GI problems have subsided, but at times I have bouts here and there. More recently I've become extremely tired and my body is very resistant to exercise. My PCP ran some tests and they show that I have PCOS and am Insulin resistant. She was reviewing my chart and feels that my diagnosis of CD is inaccurate and that I should go off the diet and begin treatment for the PCOS. I've begun Metformin for the PCOS but have continued with the CD diet, and this brings me to you guys :). I'm not sure where to go from here. Part of me wants to let go of the CD diagnosis and try this other path to see what happens, but the other part of me is worried that the CD diagnosis is real. I'm not sure how to figure it out since the biopsy was really not much help. Guess I'm looking for any ideas on things I might be missing or other avenues I'm not seeing.
Thanks so much for your help guys!

Becky in Colorado

*******
*******