Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2006 12:26:59 EST

Since CD is generally thought of as a condition of malabsorption, the
question below may seem foolish.  However, several weeks ago there were  numerous
postings which related to Celiacs who were overweight.   Therefore, I feel
comfortable asking the following questions:

Does anyone have any information on Weight Loss Surgery (Bypass or Lap  Band)
and Celiac Disease?  Since diarrhea is one of my prevalent symptoms,  can it
be exacerbated by the surgery which has it's own set of gastrointestinal
symptoms?  If anyone has had the surgery, how have you coped with the  dietary
restrictions of CD and the surgery?  When you take away all of the  gluten
containing food as well as dense proteins like steak, pork, and anything  high in
sugar and starch, is there anything left to eat?

Any information would be helpful in making my decision on whether or not to
have the surgery.  I will certainly summarize your responses.

Justine
Brooklyn, NY