From:
Jane Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 12:41:08 AST

Has anyone had this happen.  After being GF for 16 months, and taking
very good care of myself, eating healthy etc.,  I have in the last
few months, have eaten something with gluten in it (I found out later).
(To summerize:  I'm 39, diagnosed Nov. 95, and never had the symptoms
of celiac, such as vomiting or diarrhea with stomach pains)
The first time, within 20 minutes, I had terrible pains in my
stomach, and had to leave where I was at, thank God it wasn't far
from home.  Had terrible diarrhea and pains. Felt sick, but didn't
throw up.   This soon passed, but I felt a little blah the next day.
Then this past Sat.  I had a violent reaction, about 1/2 hr. after I
ate,  I had bad pains, felt really sick, just got in the door, had
diarrhea, and then started to throw-up, like I've never done in 20
years!!  I was so sick, I thought I was going to die!!!!!!!!!! My
ribs and throat were sore the next day.   When
it all finally subsided, I went to bed (so much for my Saturday
night!), then I had to take a warm bath because I just couldn't keep
warm.  I remember reading, or someone telling me that after a year or
so GF, and your intestines have healed, any gluten can become very
toxic to your system.  Well, if there was any doubt in my mind before
that I have Celiac disease, there sure isn't now!!!!  I will be
adamant, from now on, and will take no chances  on what I eat,
 because I don't ever want to sick like that again.  Anyone else
experience never having symptons and then after so long GF become
very ill from  any gluten????   Send replies to me personally,
thanks.

Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia