From:
Kevin & Pat Little <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 22:05:11 -0400

Hi,

This was my question and what follows is a summary.  Thanks for all
those who replied.

Pat

"I have a gluten free cookbook from my library and several of the bread
recipes call for shortening.  I want to use canola, sunflower, or
safflower oil instead of the shortening........

Does anyone know if I can just switch this "one for one" and still have
good results? "

***************************************
***************************************
Depends on what you are making...If it is a cake, then you must stick
with the same type.  In otherwords, you cannot sub.  a liquid if a solid
shortening is required, as in a cake.

Shortening is not healthy, however.  It is a trans fat Be also aware
that alot of us have reactions to canola oil.  the Canadian Sprue Assoc.
warns against it since it is rapseed grown on fallow wheat fields and is
contaminated from the seed up.

Most experts agree that the healthiest fats are butter and olive oil.
Never use margarine.
Try  1/2 cup  to  3/4  cup  oil  to  1 cup  butter or shortening.
I have done it many times over with great results.  I have even
substituted apple sauce for oil in many recipes and it turned out fine.
I use oil almost exclusively but normally either virgin
olive oil or sunflower oil for cooking.  You have to
realise that "shortening"/butter/margerine all contain
water as well as fat while the oil does not.  I work
entirely by weighing or spoon measure (electronic kitchen
scales with a "tare"/zero function are so quick that
nothing else is worth bothering with - cups are a mess
I don't think it's 1:1 for shortening vs.  oils, but I don't know what
the proper proportions would be.  I tried substituting in a cookie
recipe, and they totally melted into each other in baking!
No, you can't switch oil for shortening, unless the recipe calls for
melted shortening, then you can switch it one for one.  I did tried
anyways a couple of times and it doesn't work well - everything comes
out too oily.  Try using sunflower or safflower shortening maybe?
I always use canola oil in my baking in place of whatever other oil/fat
is called for, and never have problems with the results.
I use cold or at least not warm coconut oil. It stays a solid at room
temperature (unless you have a very warm room). I have substituted this
one:one.
Some recipes need the shortening, like choco chip cookies, to keep the
crunch.  Other recipes, banana bread, etc. are fine w/ the switch to
oil.

Just reduce it by about 1/4-1/3.  1/2 c. shorten would go to 1/3, etc.  I
have swapped the shortening out of most of the recipes I use since it is
easier to measure.
In breads you should be able to make an even exchange oil for butter
from shortening.
no, not usually.  The consistency will be all wrong, as you are
substituting basically a solid for a liquid.  Try applesauce, that works
sometimes.
For bread, you should be okay - I substitute applesauce for both with no
trouble.  For cake, or a bread that uses a lot of fat, you may not want
to substitute when company's coming.
Use 1 Tblsp less oil than shortening; in breads the product will be a
little heavier in texture.
We never use something like shortning in Europe! Its just too much
industrialized and processed.

Why not using natural oil? like native olive oil (which can be heated
safely) for everything with a stronger taste, or sunflower oil for the
lighter things.

I tested many oils and these are those with the best results, both in
taste and in baking quality.