From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:59:18 -0500

One of my nephews (16 yrs) has just been diagnosed with Eosinophilic
Esophagitis while he was having an EGD done to do biopsies for CD.  My
understanding of the disease is that it is inflammation of the esophagus
(=Esophagitis) and that the inflammation is due to an infiltration of
eosinophils, a type of white blood cell (=Eosinophilic).

The scary part is that this can be a precursor to Esophageal Cancer, which
killed my Dad just a few years ago.  My sister has done research on this
since my nephew was diagnosed and has found two things I wanted to ask you
about:
1 - Many people seem to get diagnosed with Eosinophilic Esophagitis in the
process of getting biopsies for CD.
2 - They are finding that over 70% of the time Eosinophilic Esophagitis is
directly associated with food allergies, mainly cow's milk, soy, egg and
wheat.

Does anyone know of any association between CD and Eosinophilic Esophagitis?

Do any of you, or your children, have Eosinophilic Esophagitis?  If so,
please share any experiences or thoughts you think might be useful to my
sister.  I'll summarize.

Family History:
- As I mentioned my Dad had esophageal cancer.
-  I had esophageal Candida at one time (discovered during my 2nd EGD
looking for CD)
- My sister and I are both diagnosed Celiacs.
-My brother and my son have tested negative on CD blood work.
- A niece has tested negative for both CD blood work and CD genetics panel
(whew!!).
- I have three other nephews, only one of which is currently covered by
insurance.  The one boy who is covered by insurance had refused to get the
CD testing done (blood work/EGD).  But since his brother has been diagnosed
with Eosinophilic Esophagitis, he has agreed to go ahead with CD testing.
(double-whew!! Since he is the family member with the most digestive
problems and weight loss).

Thank you for any help,
Dawn @ the Jersey Shore