From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 20:13:01 -0400

Dear List,

As usual, you came through quickly, generously, and imaginatively.
Thank you, everyone, for offering suggestions for my non-cooking and
very sick wheat and/or gluten-intolerant friend who needs to fatten
up. I cut and pasted from the e-mails, eliminated redundancies, and
passed the result on to her late this afternoon. Five pages! She was
touched and grateful, and sends her thanks to everyone.

Parenthetically, she mentioned today that she gets an itchy rash in
the winter on her legs. "Is it symmetrical?" I asked. "Yes." (!!!)
Sounds a lot like DH, don't you think? She hadn't had it biopsied so
one cannot be sure. I swear, she does have Celiac, but she is very
very resistant to the idea and extremely resistant to the thought of
having anything more to do with conventional medicine. I'd love to see
her get tested properly, but it's not gonna happen. I figure my job
now is to keep her on track with the diet long enough for the
dividends to accumulate. In six months or so she may be able to
embrace the idea that giving up regular sandwiches and pizza is a
small price to pay for the vast improvement in health. But as she sees
what she considers only minor improvements now, she's unwilling to
think beyond September. She wants real bread. This afternoon I went
out to Brooklyn and got her a fantastic GF baguette (killingly
expensive....wholesale source is Everybody Eats), so maybe that'll
help take the edge off. We'll see. Thanks again for the help. Fingers
crossed.

Mary B.
NYC

The summary is pretty long and needs to be posted in two parts. Here's
Part I.

One person pointed out that pancreatic insufficiency can be a factor.
For anyone who wants to look up the reference, here it is:

http://www.pharmaceutical-int.com/categories/coeliac-disease/coeliac-disease-and-pancreatic-exocrine-insufficiency.asp

replied this is common with Celiacs at the beginning. As for beans,
this respondant seconded the motion, suggesting no legumes until the
villi has really healed, which could be as much as two years.
As with everything else Celiac, the details vary from person to
person. Every gut is different; everyone tolerates beans, corn, rice,
fat, nuts, sweets and so forth differently. But keeping it simple at
first works for many: small roasted potatoes, steamed green beans and
roasted chicken.

Reese’s pieces are gluten free.

Nuts, raisins & other dried fruits if her system can handle them.  For
me they are much easier to digest than heavy meats & ice cream.

Add a teaspoon or two of olive oil or canola oil to her foods. It's an
easy 100 calories, fat is important, and typically it makes the food
taste better.

Frozen meals by Organic Bistro. We've seen them at Whole Foods but
other stores as well, and they are especially helpful when traveling
because they can be microwaved. The Organic Bistro products are gluten
free and nutritious ... and most miraculous, they taste good. We
especially like the Ginger Chicken and the Wild Sockeye Salmoncakes.
Maybe try these as a bridge to more ambitious cooking?

Tinkyada fettucine pasta

Whole Foods has some delicious uncured (no nitrates) salamis that are
sliced and ready to eat. When I'm not up to cooking I'll eat a piece
of salami wrapped over a bit of cheese or a piece of dried fruit (yum)
or both.  Of course there are gluten-free crackers.

2 Horatio Street  10M
New York 10014
phone: 212.255.0624

*******