From:
Moira Sheehan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 09:25:06 -0700

Hi all,
The holiday season is difficult for we CD people, but for the most part I
have adapted by bringing my own food to holiday parties and when I travel.
But I find it really difficult when I ask about the GF status of something
at a relative's house and get a flip response.

I traveled to my father's house for New Year's where we had a nice party
for New Year's Eve.  The next day, I had put out some cheese for a little
pre dinner snack, when my sister brought out a bag of crackers and placed
them on the same plate!!!!  When I asked *why* she had done this, she told
me that she didn't *feel* like getting a separate plate and anyway, the
cheese I had been eating was left over and had been sitting next to
crackers the night before, and I wasn't sick now was I??

I was speachless.  My sister and others are under the impression that I
exagerate the need to be 100% gluten free, and stymie my efforts to do so.
Fortunately, I only see her every year or so.  But there are others who
feel the same way.  i.e. Why do you worry about the oil in which french
fries are cooked?  If you ignored the fact that they also cook breaded
products in there, it would open up so many menu options for you?  How do
you respond?

Sorry this is long...  I needed to vent some frustrations.

Moira
Denver, CO