From:
Melissa Pafford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melissa Pafford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:34:55 -0400

** Low Priority **

Hi Everyone,

I am Melissa, mother of Jeneah (age 6). I subbed to this list last year
some time searching for answers to my daughters health concerns. Many of
you were a great support to us. So, as my year has unfolded, we have
been to app't after app't, with much frustration. Last year I decided
with support from many ppl. that I would be more aggressive than the
past five years of dealing with Dr's. I wanted answers and I wasn't
going to stop. I insisted that they do the blood work to test for
celiac, I insisted that they test for any possible cause and finally I
just took her off of all dairy (8-10 weeks) with no results. Afterwards,
I consulted with the GI Nutritionist at the children's hospital and they
were stumped, sure that it was a casein issue. I chose, without much
support from the hospital to remove gluten and we have been on a road to
the greatest state of health I have seen yet. So, to make my long story
short, we visited the GI Clinic again this week, only to have the Dr.
say, "hmmmm, perhaps it is celiac disease"!! LOL Can you believe that??
Anyway, they want us to do the gluten challenge...UGH! Man, I am not
looking forward to this AT all and Jeneah is being really difficult
about it. Clearly a child her age knows the effects it had on her system
and she is refusing. Any suggestions on how I can go about all of this?
I am almost satisfied with the fact that she is doing well living GFCF,
what is your take? Have any of you had to do this? Is it a horrible
experience? Are there ways to minimize pain or reaction of any kind? I
am so stumped....

Thanks so much,

Melissa