From:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 06:30:39 -0600

I really can't take credit (as some responders have suggested) for
either writing the article or suggesting the topic. The editor at the
Houston Chronicle who wrote it is a friend of another
editor who happens to be celiac. She saw how hard it was for her friend
to go out to eat. And then the celiac editor knew who to go to for more
information -- me! I did give the editor a great deal of information on
how to go out to eat with food sensitivities, including most of the
resources. I really appreciated her listing our Houston chapter so that
the Houston people could find us. I am still amazed that some GI doctors
aren't immediately referring newly diagnosed celiacs to us. It's not
that we haven't sent out information before. I had a new person with
young twins find me after a friend saw the dining out article. I expect
quite a few more calls this week in fallout from the insertion of this
article. We will be sending out another "professional packet" in the
next month, especially stating the new prevalence figures. If someone in
another area wants to see the draft of my cover letter to professionals,
just e-mail me back with the request. Thanks for the other responders
who just wrote to thank me.

--Thank you I found the article interesting and here in Australia it is
just as difficult to dine out. Many restaurants do not take care even
when the problem is explained to them, however there are a few who do
and these are the one I return to. Christina in Australia

- Great article. I just wish restaurants in the CT area would get
educated. I had a waitress look at me today like I was a pain in the
[log in to unmask] Dick

- I was impressed with one of the restaurants who cleans the kitchen
when someone with allergies is there. Wish they all would take such
measures. Maybe when they get the word and really listen they will know
how many people there are that have "allergies" and can't visit their
restaurant will do something to help so folks can go out and have a meal
and not get
sick or die. Unfortunately, in this country there are too many people
with the I don't care attitude. We have to get people in the food
industry in the place it hurts most, the pocketbook to take notice.
Ann in Dallas

- Thank you for the great information you furnished. I go to the Outback
Steakhouse once a week and the managers and servers all know me and my
problem and I've taken copies of the gluten free menu to them (which
they should have had). I made a copy of this article and I plan to take
it with me so they can get some further hints. I have eaten at Outback
Steakhouses all over this country with no adverse effects. Since they
have worked so hard, at I am sure a lot of time and expense, I think we
should patronize them whenever possible. Thank you. Phyllis - Ohio

- Thank you for getting the word out, and the writer didn't call CD an
allergy, yeah. Laura

That's a great article Janet -- I like the approach you took, rather
than the typical "what is celiac" etc. you gave an example of a celiac
situation - dining out. Janice.

- Just wanted to say thanks for helping to get the word out to the
general public. Ingrid.

- We enjoyed your contribution to the Chronicle article yesterday. I
believe your efforts over the years are starting to have a real impact. John