From:
ER Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ER Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 09:50:42 -0500

It has been a little over two years since I was diagnosed as a celiac
patient, and I am still learning, and depending on this group. From my
past experience, if you're not gaining weight (and you need to gain),
then first check on your medicine and vitamins. For three or four months
I had taken a vitamin that was gluten free, but when my doctor told me
that I was getting gluten somewhere, then I first started checking on
meds and vitamins, as I was eating a very bland diet. This vitamin was
GF, but it was contaminated. I dropped this vitamin, and started a new
one, in just a few weeks, I started gaining weight.

When my Dr. prescribed minocyclin, I called Medco Health and had
previously requested them to note that all of my medicine must be GF.
The pharmacist said they could not do that, but he would give me the
name of the drug co. and telephone number. I called the drug co.
(Watson), and they told me there was no gluten in the medicine, but they
could not guarantee it to be GF. It comes in capsules or tablets. I have
taken it for three days and have not had any problems so far. As other
listmates have said in other posts, you need to know where your
pharmacist purchases your medicine.

I have received eight posts so far on minocyclin, and will list them as
briefly as possible without leaving out any helpful information.

Three listmates say go to http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/list.htm and it
says that Minocyclin caps by Schein is gluten free.

Two listmates say go to www.rxlist.com to see the ingredients and side
effects. This site says the capsule information for this drug is GF. In
addition to listing the web site, one of these listmates made the the
following statement. The only way to find out is from the pharmaceutical
company that makes it. Call and ask for the pharmacist in charge of this
particular drug. He will confirm whether or not it is GF. Sometimes they
tell you there is no gluten in the drug, the starch is from the corn,
but they cannot say that it is not contaminated. It is their of covering
themselves, and then I take it anyway

One listmate had some very good advice, and I will list it ver batum.

Do NOT rely upon your doctor or pharmacist for GF assurances. (it is
your health and you have the most interest in keeping well) I once had a
pharmacist assure me something was safe, and he told me there is nothing
called gluten listed for this drug. It was useless explaining to him, he
just never got it at all. Always be sure to find out what company is
making the drug you will actually get. Many are generic and this can
change from pharmacy to pharmacy, and from month to month.

Minocyclin is listed on a list I have as manufactured by Teva. I was
told that this company does not use gluten in it's products, but I
suggest you get their phone number from your pharmacist and call them.
Ask to speak to customer service and then to a company chemist for
verification that there is no wheat, barley, oats or rye products/
derivatives in the drug you are calling about. Be sure to confirm that
corn gluten is not a problem for you as a celiac.

I use this process with each medicine I am prescribed. Even using GF
lists, I find it is necessary since products change and even drug
companies change hands frequently. Just last week I went through this
for a medication and the company rep advised checking each time as so
much changes in the industry.

One listmate says to contact the manufacturer of your drug. Your
Pharmacist will have the contact info and the name of the company.

Another listmate has written a book entitled "Celiac Sprue, a Guide
Through the Medicine Cabinet". She surveys all the drug manufacturers
every year about the content of their drugs, prescription and
nonprescription. Unfortunately, my drug was not listed in her book,
which means Watson did not respond to her survey request. The most
important part of her book is the Directory of Manufacturers, containing
all the addresses and phone numbers of all the drug manufacturers in the
country. Your pharmacist can tell you who the manufacturer is, and then
you should call them directly. Since the ingredients can and do change,
especially the inactive one, this is something you should always do.

If you are interested in more information about her book, go to her
website at www.celiacmeds.com.