From:
Brian & Tami Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 15:34:25 -0700

Hey everyone:

You may recall, a few months ago, I asked the list about eating
gluten-free in Hawaii.   I only had a few responses and I think they
were just old summaries.  I had a lot of great travel tips too.  But I
guess I should have mentioned that I used to actually live there and
have been there so many times.  But anyhow, I did have success on
Kaua'i:

We stayed in the town called Kapaa (pronounced Ka-pa-ah).  We stayed in
condos in which we could cook our own food.  So, we went to the local
Safeway which is in this shopping complex.  In that same complex
(although NOT visible from the street) is a very good sized health food
& supplement store called "Papayas".  They are constantly getting
freight in.  So, when I went to the frozen bread section, there was
nothing there.  But I talked to the stock guy and he opened three boxes
of frozen Food for Life bread for me to chose from.  There were a lot of
gluten-free selections, even that kids cereal that I always see
mentioned on the list e-mails.

So, I bought the frozen bread.  The second part of our trip was on Oahu
in which I just took my bread on the plane with me.  The hotel on Oahu
(Outrigger Waikiki On The Beach) supplied us with a microwave and
toaster so I could make my own toast.    Other than bread, people can
really eat with comfort on the islands as they, even McDonalds, always
have rice as a starch.  I know that there are a lot of gluten-free
products available at various stores on Oahu.  But since I had enough
bread, I didn't worry about searching for them.

I hope this e-mail is helpful to some of you.  Just to let you know,
Kapaa, Kaua'i isn't that far from Lihue or Poipou.  Feel free to reply
back to this e-mail.  I would love to hear from you all.

Tami
Hoquiam, WA
USA