From:
MJ Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MJ Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 16:28:40 -0500

I received about 11 responses to my question about sulfites in wine.

Several people have reactions sometimes and not others with no apparent
pattern.  More noticed with red wines than white but the reaction has been
noticed with white.  Cause unknown.

One person had been allergic to wine prior to being detoxed for mercury.
The same person takes a probiotic from Kirkman Labs and also digestive
enzymes.

A couple of people suggested that people who react to sulfites usually are
low in molybdenum. A nutritional supplement combo using molybdenum, B12
and B6 (I think), and a substance called "P5P" was mentioned.

The presence of histamines in wines was suggested as the cause.  Another
was that for some people a lack of or deficiency in an alcohol
dehydrogenase enzyme might be the cause.

Acupunture treatments were mentioned as a possible treatment.

One person gets flushing (called acne rosacea by the doctor) from red wine
and thinks it's from salicylate overload.

One person suggested checking with my physician for a possibility of mast
cell problems or other causes.

One person has similar experiences and not consistent but seems to be
determined by the amount of wine.  If over 6 oz. headaches and a stuffy
nose happen.

One person couldn't drink red or rose wine - the reaction is numbness of
the face and headache. Another gets weeping itchy ears from red wines at
times.

Thanks for everyone who responded - I appreciate it.

MJ
--
 MJ Thomas
 In the beautiful Finger Lakes Wine Country of New York State!