From:
Patricia Onstott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patricia Onstott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:49:57 -0500

Dona recently posted that Premarin is not guaranteed to be gluten free according to the Stokes Pharmacy manual, and she listed a toll free number to call for Wyeth Ayerst (1-800-999-9384).  I called the number and spoke with a representative there.  The rep read me the ingredient list from Premarin--I personally did not recognize any alarming ingredients.  I told her that I could not consume anything with any wheat  in it.  She said that there had been a lot of controversy recently about Premarin containing gluten and they had a separate study done of the ingredients.  She assured me there was no gluten in the tablets.

I have been using Premarin for 6 years and have not been having any problem that I am aware of with this drug.  I do react quickly to small amounts of wheat gluten;  I feel that Premarin is safe.  But I certainly encourage any of you with any concerns to call the number yourself and speak directly to the company.  (Perhaps the "controversy" was created because of whatever was published in the Stokes Pharmacy manual....)

Pat