From:
Karen Tambasco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen Tambasco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 21:45:36 -0500

My apologies in the length of time it has taken me to post this summary.
Thank you to all who sent great information- I am positive my family will be
able to have a relaxing, enjoyable, GF vacation!

Many folks had visited the area and stated that there are GF stores
available as well as restaurants. Some information I post may be duplicated
as not all individuals could remember the names of the health stores they
visited, or restaurants but could tell me geographic locations.  Here is the
information I received.

Check out the 'Embers' when I was there their head chef,was fully aware of
Celiac.  Apparently where he worked prior the owner's daughter had Celiac
and he became very knowledgeable of our eating needs.

He was extremely helpful when I went and can only hope he is still there.

The Embers offers a buffet and it might be a bit much for a 6 year old.

However, talk with this Chef (wish I could remember his name) he might be
willing to make her something special while you enjoy that buffet.

My sister-in-law told me about a grocery-type store on Fenwick Island (not
an island) which is right passed the lighthouse on the main drag at the
northern tip of Ocean City in a strip shopping center called THE SHOPS IN
FENWICK.  They have gluten free food to buy.  Also, please know that at the
southern tip of Ocean City on Route 50 you can find Carrabba's and Outback
Restaurants.  Just ask for the gluten free menus. Both places are very
accommodating.  In the supermarkets you can sometimes find (freezer section)
gluten free macaroni and cheese (yes, gluten free).  I just stick to buying
meat, vegetables and potatoes or rice, yogurt and ice cream for desert, and
most candies are gf.  Plus I bring a lot from home.  Bring your own gf
pancake mix and bread for french toast or pancakes in the morning.

There's a little GF store in North Ocean City called "To Life."  But the
owner has to move to California and is trying to find a GF buyer!

We go to ocean city every summer and we have always gone out one night to
the Galaxy Bar and Grill .They are a high end place but they are very
accomodating .I usually stop in a day or two ahead and have a glass of wine
and talk to the Chef.We go over the menu and talk about what I can have .He
has made me Gluten free crab cakes in the past.The New owner last year
personally came over when I was talking to the chef and got involved in our
planning of the menu.There is also a natural food store in bethany beach I
think.

- Thrasher's french fries are gluten free

   - the Galaxy which is a very upscale restaurant

   - steamed crab places and as long as they use old bay seasoning & no beer

   - Watermans is a good place to eat

 - On Rt 50 just before crossing the bridge into OC  there is a Carabbas &
Outback

   - In Bethany, DE, just up the highway a bit there is a health food store
on the east side of the

       highway called Wholesome Habits

   - A new health food store was supoosed to open in May,  see
www.askroy.com/tolife

I received several replies, but this best sums up the various
recommendations of those that know!  Thanks again to everyone out there !
You are a HUGE help.

Thanks,

Karen