From:
Latimer Kells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 10:16:27 -0400

Sorry it has taken so long to complete this summary.  Thanks for all who
got back to me on this.  It was extremely helpful and encouraging to me,
and I hope others can benefit from the following summary:

Here's what people said in response to the following questions:  1)  Has
anyone on the listserv who experiences tingling, numbness, etc. had the
experience of feeling these things more on one side than another and had
a negative MRI for MS?  2) Is there anyone who has done well on a GF
diet, but whose celiac blood work screening was completely negative?

"Yes to the first two.  The tingling and numbness is not enough
potassium and or Multi-vit not being absorbed.  I also had shooting
pains."

"All my blood work came back negative, IgA, IgG and endomysial
antibodies.  Blood drawn after 10 days of being GF.  Beforehand, had
tingling/numbness in left forearm, hand & fingers, but it happened a
couple of times in the right arm and hand as well ... had gene test
offered by Dr. Fine from Enterolab and found that I carry both of the
genes that predispose to CD ... taking supplemental vitamins and
calcium" with good effect.

"I react incredibly to gluten, but do ot test positive for celiac
disease... had total neurological workup including MRI of the brain and
cervical spine for numbness in toes and loss of sensation in the
fingertips ... no insight whatsoever."

"My serum and tissue test were 100% negative (both of my childrens' were
positive).  I do better GF..."

"I have had the neuro signs and also muscle spasms.  I also have not
tested positive, but have no symptoms on a GF diet."

"I have numbness, tingling in feet and face, vertigo, a blind spot in my
left eye, terrible fatigue.  My problems have afffected both sides, but
the left side seems to be worst ... I have been tested for MS, including
MRI of the head and neck, spinal tap, all of which turned out normal.  I
have also had the screening for celiac (the blood tests), which turned
out negative ... I am just beginning the GF diet."

"I am doing well on GF diet and testsed 'not celiac,' as have three of
my friends and many in local support group."

"I tend to get numbness on one side, but it can happen on both.  My MD
says it's because I'm putting pressure on the nerve in my elbows.  I had
an MRI 3-4 months after ging GF.  No MS detected ... I had blood work
done months after going GF and all tests were negative.  Even so, have
remained GF for 3 years.  I will not go back since my health has
improved so much."

"Got my test results from UMD.  Negative!  ... went on a week long
gluten challenge to preapre for the test (I had only been GF for about 2
weeks, so I thought a week of eating gluten would be sufficient for the
test).  My sensitivity to gluten is much higher now.  I am at a loss! "

"I'm scheduled for MRI on 5/22.  I had one ~5 years ago when the
numbness on my right side started.  It includes my face/head, lower arm,
and lower leg.  It has never totally disappeared, some days worse than
other days.  I had two uncles with MS, and that is why they did the
first MRI.  It proved negative.  The neurologist believes there is
something with my central nervous system -- if MS, then a very benign
form."

"I had tingling, numbness for years ... had MRI ... I did not have MS,
but had CD, which 5 doctors could not figure out -- I figured it out.  I
have never had blood work done, but have been on GF diet for over 3
years.  As long as I adhere to the diet and take extra B vitamins,
magnesium, potassium and calcium, then I do ot have problems with
numbness, etc."

"Since my 20's I've had tinglig, numbness and pain, mostly in my right
leg, and to a lesser degree and less frequently in the left one." MDs
feel might be sciatica or compressed nerve ..." Ultimately this person
had an MRI, which ruled out MS, but is still vague on what is causing
the tingling and numbness in Rt leg and a tendency to trip over her own
feet.

"I have had tingling/numbaness and was at first screened for MS ... I
have been very strict on the (GF) diet and yet still have traces of
these symptoms after a year.  However... in the last few weeks I've gone
completely dairy-free and again felt another giant leap toward
eliminating these symptoms entirely."

"I often experience tingling and numbness, but have not had an MRI for
MS ... have been GF for ~8 years, small cheats once in awhile, but got
away with it ... had a real bad episode from Nov 1 to Feb 15, went to a
naturopath and have been real good since ..."

 In the interests of space and time, I did my best to edit the responses
to contain the "core" of the answers.  Hope I did a decent job and that
this was of interest.

Latimer