From:
"Joan C. Janicki" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 19:34:09 -0500

Many thanks to the nine list members who responded to my inquiry about
Trader Joes.

Of the nine, three respondants were dubious of their processed trade name
foods and don't purchase those items.  (One had a reaction to the Chile
and Lime White Corn Tortilla Chips listed on the gluten free list.)

One respondant has spoken with the nutritionist, who is apparently
extremely familiar with and sensative to the needs of gluten restricted
diets and is well aware of even the controversial issues like vinegar.
Apparently, the gluten free list has not been updated since 1997, so the
list I picked up at the store was outdated and didn't match recent changes
in ingredients.  The nutritionist is presently working on updating the
gluten free list.

The items that people are buying at Trader Joes are the nuts, merengues,
jams, frozen veggies, cheeses, gluten free waffles - banana and regular,
Food for Life bread, wheat free enchiladas, tacquitas in corn tortillas,
wild rice, frozen peppers, Imagine brand soups (thickened with brown rice
flour), mashed potatoes that come in small lunch size cardboard
containers, yoghurt, soy yum drink, rice dream, rice cakes, and the
tortilla chips.

One person checked with the nutritionist and verified that the Trader
Joes Cream of Mushroom soup "fat can" is gluten free.

Most people seem to be buying the basic grocery items that are much more
competatively priced than they are at Fresh Fields.

I'm going to stick with the basics untill they update their list and I
get around to finding time to call the company myself about particular items.

Thanks so much,

Joany Janicki, Washington, DC