From:
Derek Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Derek Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2007 06:21:07 -0400

Thank you all for the great responses on Philadelphia. Here is a summary of the responses I got. I ended up eating at 'Longs' Chinese restaurant 2 nights in a row it was so good and even took some home with me. Unlike PF Changs almost everything can be made gluten free. I had a chat with one of the owners and she understands the deal perfectly. Their Vermicelli rice noodles (Singapore Street Noodles) and General Tzo's chicken were amazing. Thanks again and here are the responses:

The Dietary Shoppe, Inc.
4436 Ridge Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19129
215-242-5302

Mr. Ritt's Bakery
709 E. Passyunk Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19147-3016
(215) 627-3034
Web site: http://www.mrritts.com/
email: [log in to unmask]

Here is a review:
http://www.celiacchicks.com/2003/12/philly_getaway_.html<http://www.celiacchicks.com/2003/12/philly_getaway_.html>
Some of our favorite items from the bakery are:
Waffles
Chocolate covered cheese cake (the crust is TDF)
any tarts
Biscotti
Pizza crusts

Mr. Ritts in Philadelphia is making new breads.  They have two artisan loaves: tomato-basil and olive.  I have tried the tomato basil and it was terrific. Just like the real thing!  We didn't need to toast it before using it for sandwiches.  It held together fine and had great texture.They are also making buckwheat sandwich bread. Also excellent. We tried their blueberry cheesecake OMG!  I can't believe that we have just discovered that.

Long's
2018 Hamilton Street
Philadelphia
215 496-9928

Restaurant Spotlight: My Thai, Philadelphia
Located on Philadelphia's famed South Street in Center City, My Thai is a favorite of local celiacs because of chef-owner Id's willingness to make any dish on the menu gluten free. In fact, My Thai and Id were featured in an article about Triumph Dining in the Philadelphia Inquirier earlier this year. The next time you're in Philadelphia, don't miss the chance to try Id's homestyle Thai cooking. My Thai is located 2200 South St. and can be reached by phone at (215) 985-1878.

There is a TGI Fridays within walking distance of the Franklin Institute and of course there are Outback, Carrabba's, and PF Chang's in the area.  If your fussy 8 year old likes Mexican, there is a Qdoba (www.qdoba.com) at 16th and Walnut. I get their 3 cheese nachos and have had no reaction to them and they have a lot of kid friendly burritos and stuff for non-celiacs.   Walnut
Street is sort of the artsy street (along with South street) in Philly and I love sitting at the counter in Qdoba's window and watching the Walnut street people walk past as I eat.

I have CD and live in Philadelphia and I eat Cheesesteaks all the time.  You just have to make sure the french fries are GF, then ask them to make  a normal cheesesteak (I like provolone, onions, and hot peppers), except I ask  them to put the fries on a plate and then put the cheesesteak sans roll on top  of the fries.  Sweet Lucy's is a family owned and operated BBQ place where they make everything from scratch.  They won't change things to make them CD, but they are good about discussing the ingredients with you and I've found plenty there that I can eat.

I love OLD Bookbinder's...great seafood.

Try Twenty21--it's upscale, (read: not cheap, but not really
outrageous) but we had a fabulous meal there. We called ahead and
both the kitchen and the wait staff, as well as the maitre d' seemed
to be familiar with the GF diet, and due to the call were prepared
for us when we arrived.
http://www.twenty-21.com/<http://www.twenty-21.com/>
  Must not  miss Jules Thin Crust Pizza (GF) in Doylestown. Doylestown is
also home to the Mercer Museum and James Mitchener Library. A pretty main
street with lots of great shops.
  There's a good sushi place in Yardley. Sorry I don't remember the name.
It's very close to the river. They were very accommodating. There's also an
H-Mart (Chinese grocery) where you can find GF items.
  In Southampton, on Street Road there is a Health Food Store called Bunns
that carries a good selection of GF products. Further east on Street Rd, in
Bensalem, are Outback and Carrabbas, both of which have GF Menus.
(Southampton and Bensalem are both in Bucks County). Across the
Burlington-Bristol Bridge, in Burlington, NJ is a nice Continental
restaurant, Cafe Gallery, which is very attentive to dietary needs. They
don't have a GF Menu, but will answer all questions. I have been told that
they do not thicken their cream soups with flour. If they need to thicken
their soup, they will add cream. My sister asked about one of the salad
dressings, and the waiter checked with the chef and was told that one has
wheat in it. The nearest Whole Foods Markets to eastern Bucks County, is in center city
Philadelphia.

Sotto/Upstairs Varalli---Locust and Broad StPassage to India -- Walnut and JuniperRuth's Chris Steakhouse --Broad StD'Jango--4th St between South and LombardMatyson---37 South 19th StLolita---106 South 13th StFitzwater Cafe---7th and FitzwaterParadiso---South PhiladelphiaCucina Forte---South 8th Street.

*******
*******