From:
Kristen Hoag Billingsley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 14:21:45 -0500

Thanks to all of you who responded to my question about Kemp's Ice
Cream.  I have not yet gotten an answer from the manufacturer, Though
they did e-mail me back right away saying that they get a large volume
of e-mails and would reply as soon as they can.  I'll post their reply
once I receive it.

From the replies, though it sounds like Kemps and a number of other
brands are GF as long as the ice cream does not contain obvious
gluten-containing ingredients--cookies-n-cream...etc.  I have listed all
the brands that came up as GF below. Several people thought that perhaps
I am also lactose intolerant.  This is my suspicion, I just wanted to
rule out gluten first.

GF ice cream
Breyers All Natural Vanilla (and other flavors, not named)  Though some
else said that Breyers does not recommend any of their products for
gluten-sensitive people,because they neither control nor know the gluten
content of their supplies andbesides change suppliers frequently.
Haagen Daaz This one was verified with the manufacturer via phone
Brigham's
Ben and Gerry's B &G declined to give assurances about their product,
but the only questionable
ingredients in their ingredient lists are occasional "natural and
artificial flavors".  However, I have tried numerous B&G flavors, and
never had any trouble.
Friendly
Kemp's It is listed on Abigail Newman's site as GF
Edy's

Other comments of interest...

Ice cream is made sequentially & contamination can occurr as a result.
Vanilla is usually the safest flavor since it would be the first flavor
made in a day...Other flavors follow and it is not really possible to
wash the lines since they are below freezing. So, if a flavor like
cookies & creams was made midway through production, flavors made after
than could be contaminated.

    Realistically, this could be a problem w/ almost any brand that
makes anything that contains gluten--cookies, caramel, malted milk
balls, etc.

It could be other substances.  It depends on what kind you're having and
whether or not you're lactose intolerant too or sensitive to something
else.

-  The inability to digest celiac is a side effect of celiac but I think
it gets better as your intestines get better.

-  Some "no sugar added" products contain sugar alcohol which can cause
diarrhea.  (My brother-in-law, a pharmacist told me about that one.)

- You could be eating or drinking something with the ice cream that is
causing the problem.  (I've zeroed in on the wrong dish before.)