From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 1996 14:56:20 -0400

At 08:22 AM 9/2/96 +0100, Fran Gillespie <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>My own gastroenteroligist said, when
>physicians don't really know what the problem is, they diagnose as IBS-
>irritable bowel syndrome- for which there is no medicine or cure.

I follow the alt.support.ibs newsgroup (which is new so you may have to ask
your provider to add it to the feed) and while there is no cure, there are a
bunch of meds that they take.

Questran, a cholesterol lowering drug, has constipation as a side effect and
is used. There are the psyllium seed bulking agents, e.g, Metamucil,
FiberCon and Citrucil. Then there is Buscopan for abdominal cramps. Then
Dicyclomine calms down stomaches. Then in Europe there is enteric coated
peppermint capsules to decrease bloating. One guy is experimenting with Guar
Gum for his constipation. There are drugstore products such as Fiberall and
esoteric alternative remedies such as ground chia seeds. Aloe Vera is
supposed to increase the moisture content. One woman takes
diphenoxylate/atropine whenever needed to help control her IBS. Ginger is
taken to help alleviate nausea. The herb Cascara Sagrada is taken for
constipation. Hyoscyamine (brand name Levsin) is used for spasms associated
with IBS. Then Levbid is Levsin taken twice a day. Then there is bentyl.
Then some are trying antidepressants as an approach, e.g. a small amount of
Elavil or other ones. One person suggest linseed products instead of
psyllium husk products, e.g. Linusit Gold which he found to be calmer than
the jagged-edge husks which he thinks are too harsh. Then there are
softners, eg. Lactulose. And anti-spasmodics (colofac/mebverin).

Wow! And I didn't even check out the FAQ. How can they keep this all
straight? Someone is making money on their plight.

Don.