From:
Barbara Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barbara Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 22:36:15 -0500

> Hi Listmates,

 Here is the summary of info received for my friend who is still losing bone
mass after doing many things right -------

 I want to thank all of you for taking the time to respond to my "Osteo
 Dilema."Unfortunately it seems that many of us are plagued with the same
problem.

 Here are some of the things that other celiacs are suggesting and trying to
help improve their bone density.

 I was informed by some that for those of us who have been on  thyroid
supplementation, that may be a major contributing factor towards low bone
density.The parathyroid glands are attached to the thyroid glands and help
regulate the level of calcium in your body using a hormone like substance
called calcitonin. If you have had your thyroid removed, the parathyroid may
also have been removed.

 Some have reported having better luck with a natural thyroid like Armour,
however it is supposed to be more difficult to keep at a steady level in
your body due to the natural fluctuations of the hormone in the Armour
pills.  (I was told by a pharmacist today that there is no longer a big
fluctuation in the content of the Armour thyroid supplements.)

 For those of you who are totally against prescription drugs, the
natural approach includes taking one of the many different forms of
calcium. The main type recommended is Citracal Plus (which includes Vitamin
D and Magnesium) or taking the plain Citrical and supplementing the Vitamin
D and Magnesium.  (Ten minutes in the sun gives you quite a bit of Vitamin D
as well.)

One person reported reading  the ideal balance of calcium to magnesium being
2 parts calcium to 1 part magnesium. Since Citracal Plus does not meet that
balance by itself, you would need to supplement more magnesium.

Different forms of natural hormone replacement therapy either
in pill form or topically applied creams are  being used.

 Weight bearing exercises are said to help increase bone mass. Walking
outside on the pavement is said to be far more beneficial than walking on
the treadmill.  Adding ankle weights and/or carrying weights in your hands
and swinging your arms as you walk is also beneficial.

 Introducing calcium enriched foods like green leafy vegetables (kale,
spinach, mustard greens) are very good sources of calcium.

 Unfortunately all the information and suggestions are not proof positive to
increase bone density for everyone. Our bodies will all respond differently
to all the different methods. We can only assess the information that we are
given and then choose the best methods for us and if that doesn't work then
try another avenue.

Information from those taking Fosomax and Actonel seem to show conflicting
information.  Some celiacs tolerate Actonel with less side effects because
the daily dose is weaker than the once a week pill. The side effects of both
drugs seem to be about the same. There can be constipation, bone or joint
aches and pain, acid reflux, heartburn and gastro symptoms. The nasal spray
(Miacalcin) seems to be less absorbed through the nasal membranes, being
less effective than the drugs being absorbed  through the intestines.  (I
understand that Actonel now comes in a weekly dose as well.  A knowledgeable
pharmacist recommended that we use the once a week dose of either drug if we
decide to try a prescription drug.)

Another person reported an increase in bone density after taking
prescription Hormone replacement therapy ( such as Premarin and Evista).
(One thing to note is that in the first two years of menopause, a woman will
lose 2 percent bone mass on average and then level off.   Since that is
exactly my situation, perhaps my bone loss numbers are not so drastic.)

 It seems to be that there are many factors that can contribute to
osteoporosis,therefore one can try many different approaches, as
determined by you and your doctor. The next step is to have a follow-up bone
density test, and if not improved, try something else.  (It is not
recommended that a bone density test be taken any more often than every 2
years as it takes quite awhile for bone mass to rebuild.  One year is not
soon enough to see results.)

Osteoporosis is a very serious condition and the consequences of being
untreated can become very severe and painful. So far the natural route did
not work for me.   I am very apprehensive about taking the prescription
drugs but the disease must be stopped from progressing any further.

 In conclusion, I have decided to have my thyroid medication changed to
Armour thyroid, change to Citracal Plus, add natural hormone replacement
therapy (Tri-est with progesterone cream),  continue a calcium rich diet,
and continue weight bearing exercises daily.  I will have another DEXA in 2
years and hopefully there will be some real improvement.  If not, then I
MUST consider fosamax or actonel or another new drug should one come along
by then.

Thanks, again, for all of your great information and suggestions and good
luck to you all!

 Barbara in Illinois