Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 21:55:50 EST

Last Sunday evening, my daughter and son-in-law took us to a small restaurant
called Buttersburg Inn in Union Bridge, MD, USA. When she said that they
served great home-style cooking, I was doubtful, as that so often means lots of
breaded and fried items and lots of gravy. Well, they do have that, but they
also cook everything from scratch and the two owners are the cooks and hosts and
are always attentive to special requests, she said. They were indeed! The menu
offered lots of the fried stuff I was afraid of, but also specified a choice
of fried or baked for seafood and fish. Unluckily, all the fish I was
interested in was gone by then, and the prime rib - my last option - was normally
grilled before being finished in the oven, said the waitress. But as soon as I
mentioned celiac disease, the waitress perked up as if she knew what I was
talking about and said she would talk to the kitchen. She came back and said that
the steak would be cooked only in the oven and the chef (one of the owners, BTW)
came out behind her when dinner was served to assure me that my baked potato
was cut open with a clean knife and that all my food was handled with separate
utensils. He asked if the steak was rare as I ordered (it was). He and the
other owner both checked on us a couple of times. Dinner was delicious and I did
NOT get any reaction! It was not expensive either: about $55 for four people.
The staff was great and the surroundings attractively homey. So if you are in
rural Maryland between Frederick and Baltimore, Union Bridge is a pretty
little town (originally named Buttersburg!) and the Buttersburg Inn on its Main
Street is a nice place to eat. The menu changes frequently but the owners are
always ready to give you special attention. (We were there on Oscar night and it
was slow, so if it's busy it may be harder to grab the owners, but they are
always there, says my daughter.)

Bobbi in Baltimore
P.S. The green beans cooked with ham and onions were delicious! Just like
Grandma made!