From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 17:11:10 -0800

I think I need to clarify something.  The incident I recounted in my post this morning about Lawry's seasoned salt being a source of hidden gluten happened nearly SIX years ago in the year 2000.  And, I will further state that I had been using Lawry's seasoned salt for several months prior to this w/o problems.  I remember buying that specific bottle of Lawry's & noticing that it was light pink in color rather than the usual red I was used to.  (A friend of mine observed the same thing about the same time.)  It was while I was using this particular lighter pink bottle that I became very ill.  Someone on THIS list told me at the time (2000) that the makers of Lawry's seasoned salt no longer guaranteed it as GF as previously.  When I stopped using it, I got well  Nothing else in my diet or habits changed other than eliminating the Lawry's, so I believe that I may have gotten a bottle from a contaminated batch.  But I have no proof!

So please remember that this was a long time ago before the newer allergen labeling went into effect!  It's entirely possible that the bottles of Lawry's that are on store shelves today are GF.  Also, I have heard from others that they use Lawry's w/o difficulties.  And further, Suzanne kindly sent me this below.  So ... make your decisions about Lawry's based upon the newer information not my six year old story.  After all, I could be spreading another celiac ubran myth!  HA HA HA!  ~Valerie in Tacoma

-------------------

I'm curious what your source of information is (or was) that Lawry's

Seasoned Salt has gluten (even trace amounts)?  Did they change the

formulation?

It's a Unilever brand, and I have heard from both Unilever and

Lawry's-brand that they list all sources of gluten on their labels.

I also use Lawry's Seasoned Salt and have never had any problem with

it.  And I have pretty high sensitivity.

Now, I have had similar problems to what you describe with a few

spices and even a bag I had once of plain ground coffee -- where it

becomes clear to me that there has been some kind of

cross-contamination.  But the only "proof" I would have would be how

they make me sick with gluten-type problems.

If you have information about Lawry's that people are not generally

aware of, I hope you will share it.  It's a commonly used product,

that thought by most (including myself) to be GF.

~ Suzanne