From:
Karen Cockrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen Cockrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:01:04 -0500

I sent an e-mail to the editor-in-chief at Alice Bateman's web site.
Following is my reply from them.  Below that is the e-mail I sent.  Thought
some of you might be interested.
Karen in Missouri

Comment #137569

Thank you for posting your very valid comment.  I have deleted the
article.  Alice doesn't write here any more so I have the capability to
remove the article.  I'm still scratching my head over what her article has
to do with her topic of Personal Poetry.  We discourage our writers from
publishing articles that are off-topic.  I'm also very disturbed by the
claims she has made in her article.

I've very glad you brought it to our attention.

Thanks
Maureen Fleury

Comments
----------------------
I am writing to you regarding the article by Alice Bateman wherein she
refers to her celiac disease  This site is doing a horrible disservice to
thousands of people by allowing Ms. Bateman to write about her ridiculous
claims that she can ascertain whether something has wheat in it by swinging
her car keys or a baby's teething ring over it!  For cryin' out loud -
those of us who have celiac know that there is no way to tell if something
has gluten in it unless we read the label VERY carefully and even then we
sometimes have to contact the manufacturer.  I only hope that some newly
diagnosed celiac doesn't read this claim and decide that they can control
their disease with their car keys or a crystal!  Celiac, if untreated,
leads to horrible health problems and sometimes, cancer.  Ms. Bateman is
certainly entitled to believe what she wishes to believe, but to put those
beliefs out to this large an audience as gospel is terrible.  I don't
wonder that she felt she "had been poisoned again" - she is undoubtedly
ingesting gluten if she waves her car keys over something and decides it's
safe to eat!  My sympathy to her - she has a hard time ahead of her and
will spend many hours in the bathroom with cramps and all the other celiac
symptoms if she continues in this vein.