Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 11:52:53 -0500

At 10:19 AM 6/4/00 -0400, re: alopecia areata and CD, Lynn wrote:

>Sorry again to take so long to get this together....I had twelve responses
>to my post asking if anyone knew of a link between the two conditions.  All
>12 said yes.  thanks to each of you for the information and support!!

Good Morning!

This is very interesting...

The gluten-free diet seems to "cure" or treat a WIDE variety of illnesses.
I am left to wonder whether just being on a special diet has its pluses in
that you choose your foods wisely and carefully often avoiding
preservatives, chemicals, dyes, additives, etc.

Perhaps *we* are the change the world needs!

For our family, Celiac Disease has meant many positive things.  We
breastfed our sons (hopefully preventing it from being passed on), we eat
at home almost exclusively (more family time spent cooking, eating, and
just being together), we became vegetarian (no meat) and progressed to
veganism (no eggs or dairy) due to really looking at what we are placing
inside our bodies.

There are lots of negatives to Celiac Disease but they are more manageable
knowing that we are doing the very best for our health.  We still have many
relatives who think the gluten-free diet is a "choice" (LOL!), we can't eat
out just anywhere without calling ahead, and traveling can be tricky.  All
of these "problems" have been worked out over the years and aren't nearly
as challenging today.

But, if going gluten-free meant reducing or eliminating alopecia areata or
multiple sclerosis or autism or any other autoimmine disorder, perhaps it
would be worth it!  [Note: I am not making any medical claims!]

I postulate that just looking carefully at what you eat and choosing the
best foods (from some that might mean organic, for others whole foods in as
close to their natural state as possible, for others it might mean raw
foods) will always improve your health.  In our case, it may even save your
life.

Thanks for listening.

Love, Linda in Oklahoma (USA)