From:
Helen Aqua <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Helen Aqua <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 2013 08:02:45 -0700

Thought I'd pass this along to the listserve. My local newspaper, The Vancouver Sun, published a piece yesterday about a new monthly food subsidy of up to $250 for people with PKU. Here's the article:

"More than 200 British Columbians diagnosed with rare genetic disorders such as phenylketonuria (PKU) will get a break on their food bills, the province
announced Thursday.

It will provide a monthly food subsidy of up to $250 to pay for low-protein foods, joining six other provinces in providing financial assistance for people with
PKU.

There are 209 patients being treated for metabolic disorders in B.C. of which approximately 170 have PKU. The PKU disorder limits a person's ability to break down proteins often found in wheat, dairy, meat and fish products.

A person with PKU must eat specially modified, low-protein breads, pastas and other foods along with fruits and vegetables, which can be expensive."

Wouldn't it be wonderful if celiacs could also receive up to $250 a month subsidy for our gluten-free purchases! Alas, there are way too many of us to ever see such a gift from a government.

Cheers,
Helen