Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2013 21:28:38 +0000

Dear Listies:
I sent out a message indicating that wearing drop-heel shoes (like Earth shoes by Kalso, or MBT shoes) so successfully exercise the whole foot that, since wearing them regularly, my peripheral neuropathy is essentially gone and my toes restored to proper function. I have stopped falling down--no small matter at my age, or any other.

One response from a woman with a very wide foot was particularly helpful so I reprint it here:

"I found out that how high the heel sits in the shoe is called the drop or heel drop or heel to sole drop. Searching online, I found a few brands of men's athletic shoes that have 0mm (zero) heel drop, which is not a negative heel, but at least it is level with the sole and the heel isn't raised.

Most shoes have a large heel drop i.e. the heel is up above the sole in the shoe. [NGNote: I find this confusing, so clarify it for your own purposes, please.] That's bad for sacroiliac issues. I found a couple of brands on sale for very reasonable prices and am giving them a try. One is an Avia men's athletic shoe, but Avia was bought out (was owned by Brown's and now sold to Galaxy) and they are going to discontinue it. So if it works for me, I'll need to... buy several pair. [NG note: I had remarked to this respondent that when I find a pair of shoes that really helps me I buy several pairs because it is typical of this industry that such shoes disappear and never come back.]

Changing to this kind of shoe may require a deep shift in fashion sense. But health is sometimes worth it.

: )

Nancy Garniez

http://nancygarniez.blogspot.com
www.tonalrefraction.net