From:
Leigh Hornick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 09:45:45 EDT

Following is a summary of the responses I got to my inquiry on traveling in
Italy.  Many thanks to all who replied.  The responses were informative and
helpful.

l.  The url for the Italian Celiac Association is: http://www.celiachia.it

2.  Order salads, grilled fish and tell waitperson bread makes you very sick
and they will make sure your food is prepared with clean utensils.

3.  It is probably easier to find GF food in Italy than in the US.  Almost
every grocery I went to had GF items.  Go to a farmacia where they have lots
of GF foods.  The larger the farmacia, the better the selection. Some of the
smaller ones either have old food or need to order it for you. (Quite a few
people told me of the ease in finding GF foods in farmacias.)  One person
bought pizza crusts in the farmacia and took it to cafes and they made up
pizza.  Another said this for GF pastas.  Another recommends buying GF
biscuits by Dr. Schar, sold at farmacias, and eating them for breakfast in
lieu of bread.  A website given for food you can find in farmacias is:
http://www.nettuno.it/fiera/aic/dati/dieteti.htm   (I have not yet tried
contacting the site.)  Be sure to read labels to determine the status of all
foods in farmacias, whether labeled GF or not.

4.  Use the Italian restaurant card from Against the Grain or contact the
Gluten Intolerance Group for a wallet sized plastic card written in English
and other languages.  Phone:  206-246-6652.

5.  Here is an Italian translation that basically says, "here is my GF pasta.
 Please cook it in a clean pan using clean utensils, clean water, etc. and
use with (whichever sauce you have determined is GF).  I printed this on neon
colored paper and sent a slip to the kitchen each time.  Worked great.  No
problems.

:Ecco la mia pasta senza glutine.  Potrebbe cuocerla per me in una pentola a
Parte usando nuova acqua, uno scolapasta pulito ed un cucchiaio pulito (anche
La traccie di glutine mi fanno male).  Mi raccomando anche che non ci siano
Traccie di glutine nel condimento (farine, glutamma, dad, amido di grano)."

6.  Food: risotto was generally good as was Insalate Caprese, which had
tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and basil.  Polenta is great and made only with
maize.  Cheeses are safe except for Gorgonzola and other molded cheeses.
Meat and fish "alla griglia" or "alla brace" means grilled and should not
contain flour.  Fish "al cartoccio" means cooked wrapped in aluminum foil and
should be OK.  Vinegar is probably made from wine.  One person took GF cereal
in baggies and just added milk to it for breakfast.  Lunches were salads and
meat (think chef salad) or egg dishes.  dinners were steamed veggies, salads,
grilled or broiled meat and risotto.  This person found the chefs very
helpful once the dietary requirements were explained by a tour director.
Several people said they took their own cereal, pasta, etc. into restaurants
and the chefs made up the meal using the GF items.

Just a note, I had our tour director contact three of the four hotel
restaurants we will be at and was told they would not allow me to bring pasta
in for them to cook, even if I brought it in the sealed, original box.

Again - thanks for all the help.  It is greatly appreciated!
Leigh