From:
Sue Newell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 19:00:55 -0400

Thank you to everyone who responded to my questions about Japanese food. I
received more than 20 responses that not only helped me figure what can be
eaten safely, but also helped me keep the whole thing in perspective. It was
a good reminder as we face the holiday party season, that it is just one
evening and there is lots more to a celebration than the food.

It appears that many list members enjoy Japanese food on a regular basis.
There is a lot of gluten hidden in Japanese food, but with care and a
cooperative restaurant, there are good things to try.

Here is a summary of the information I received:
- take your own soy sauce because the one they use is likely to have wheat
or barley in it
- soy sauce is added to many dishes so make sure the chef understands the
problem
- watch out for food cooked on a shared grill that might be contaminated by
soy sauce or other food
- imitation crab meat (surimi) always contains gluten
- eel is coated with a sauce that has gluten in it
- miso soup frequently has wheat, barley, or soy sauce in it; some writers
eat it but most warned against it
- soba noodles and udon noodles are made from buckwheat, but often contain
wheat as well
- tempura is battered vegetables or fish, usually made with wheat but
occasionally made with corn starch
-Teppan-Kaki style of Japanese cuisine is grilled vegetables, fish, or meat
cooked in oil and soy sauce and eaten with plain rice
- vegetable sushi (cucumber, avocados) should be all right
- try sushi with hamachi (yellowtail) instead of crab
- tamago is sushi where the fish is replaced by sweet cooked egg and is OK
- edamame is salted, boiled soybeans in the pod and should be safe (and
apparently is fun to eat)
- sliced ginger should be all right
- wasabi (green mustard or green horseradish, depending on the writer) is
hot, but should be all right; one person cautioned about a brand containing
unknown natural flavors
- terriaki of any kind is made with soy sauce; if you have an accommodating
chef you might get it made with your own sauce
- seaweed salad is marinated with rice vinegar and should be safe
- watch out for wheat tea

Japanese Restaurant Cards
- Jax Lowell's Against the Grain has a Japanese restaurant message
- Thomas Viehof has posted a Japanese restaurant message at
http://members.aol.com/zoeliak/japanese.htm

Sue Newell