From:
Michele Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michele Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 20:17:55 -0700

Thank you all for the quick responses! I had over 45 responses, and the
majority said they had similar symptoms with eggs. (gluten-type
reactions -- bloating, cramps, diarrhea )

A few people suggested that the mayonnaise could have been made with
soy oil -- I had never considered a soy allergy, so I will have to
watch that. I didn't realize that soy oil was used in most
commercially-made mayonnaise! Several people suggested food poisoning
from the mayo, but my husband also ate the salad and was fine -- a
couple mentioned the possibility of food poisoning in lettuce, but I
didn't use lettuce.

The following is typical of the responses:

1. The type of reaction you had is what I also experience when I have
eggs.  So do my daughter and son and father.  My symptoms usually
continue until I get it all out of my system.  My kids do not get that
sick yet.  I have suffered with it for over 20 years and could not find
any thing to help.  In desperation last time I had an accidental
ingestion I took an antihistamine and was very surprised when it
helped.  Although I had always thought it was just digestive, I wonder
if it is a true allergy since the antihistamine helped.  I don't know-I
do k now that I get very very ill-even worse then gluten.  The funny
thing with all of us is that we can have them in baked goods, it's like
the chemical composition changes during the baking.  But no mayo,
scrambled, uncooked sauces, fried, or anything like that.

2. It's most likely
the eggs, but it could also be the oil that the mayonnaise is made from.
Some people react to rancid vegetable oils which are the major
ingredient
of all commercially prepared mayonnaises.I make my own mayonnaise with
cold pressed sunflower oil I buy at the
health food store.

3. howdy, i've been doing the GF thing for 15 yrs now, when i was on
the program the diet folks told me what they new, wasn't much, when i
asked about eggs, they looked at me like i was crazy, i think i most
likely am, but thats another matter, so about 2.5 yrs ago i kept
getting sick from something, i'm very strict on my diet as even a small
amount can wipe me out for a long time, but eggs still seemed to be a
problem, so i completely cut them out at that point, i felt better, but
something new developed, i couldn't get or keep warm, and living in
fairbanks, alaska and being active outdoors, it was a real problem,
about a year ago i started experimenting with eggs once more, i now
know from trial and a lot of error, my reaction is very similar to a GF
reaction, but i know what to expect, egg whites are not a problem, only
things with eggs yokes cause a similar reaction for me. i am fairly
sure its a mild allergic reaction as i am able to see a very short and
small increase body temp spike that lasts for about 2 hrs, then evens
out. so these days i make an effort to eat eggs at least every other
day and more if i'm gunna be outside on some grand trip out in the
alaska range.

4. I am allergic to milk, egg whites, wheat, and am celiac.  Tested
positive to the first three.  I like you am very aware of what I eat.
I made some brownies the other night and the only thing new was the
eggs and I got the diarreha.  I am now trying a egg free substitue.  I
aslo cannot tolerate soy. Do not know if this is a true allergy or not.
  Works just like a laxative on me.  It is in everything. Even Mayo.  I
cannot eat FF out as most everyone uses vegetable oil from soy beans.
I read somewhere that if you do not have a gall bladder you cannot
digest soy and I do not.  Just some thoughts for you to ponder.

5.I'm very sensitive and react to distilled vinegar in Mayo.  I
switched to
the Grape-seed flavor Vegganaise [available at Whole Foods] and/or
Kosher
for Passover Mayo [Gefen brand] and no longer react to mayonnaise

6. I am allergic to milk, egg whites, wheat, and am celiac.  Tested