From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 18:17:14 -0600

     Rosalie Jalbert <[log in to unmask]> said:

>What about loss of cartilage? Could that be caused by CD? Both my sister
>and mother have no cartilage left in their knees? My mom I can understand
>but my sister is only 48 and the doctors are puzzled about her total loss
>of carilage.She has both bones just grinding against each other.

Articular cartilage is formed largely of a dense network of collagenous
fibers.

Anti-endomysium antibodies are increasingly accepted as diagnostic of
celiac disease.

Endomysium is largely composed of collagenous tissue.

Articular pain often accompanies cd.

I would be very surprised if there was not an antibody attack mounted
against more collagenous tissues than the tissues in the gut. It seems
reasonable that an autoimmune dynamic, and many are commonly associated
with cd (which is increasingly seen as autoimmune as well) may well result
from a dynamic that is sometimes called molecular mimcry.

It seems quite plausible, if the above is accurate, that in some celiacs
there would be complete destruction of the cartilage.

That's just my opinion. Which, when combined with $1, will get you a cup of
coffee in most places.

Best Wishes,
Ron Hoggan
Calgary, Alberta, Canada