From:
Allen Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:20:53 -0400

Hi All,

Thanks so much  to all who responded.   Here's what you all told me:

~~~~~~~~~~

These are the resources I know about in that area (however, I have never
been to any of these places):

New Morning Natural Foods
230 Main Street
Biddeford, ME 04005

Shop 'N Save - NATURE'S PLACE
313 Elm Street
Biddeford, ME 04005
Phone:  207-284-8677

Shop 'N Save - NATURE'S PLACE
440 U.S. Route 1
York, ME 03909
Phone:  207-363-5357

--- Note:  Some Shop 'n Save stores have been renamed to Hannaford
Supermarkets.  The Nature's Place is a natural foods section within the
supermarket.  Some have a good supply of gluten-free products if there
is a customer need for gf products in that location.

Lois' Natural Marketplace 152 Route 1 Scarborough, ME 04074 Phone:  207-
885-0602 (This is the farthest from Berwick - but if you travel up to
the Maine Mall area near Portland, this is a MUST STOP!  She is the most
celiac-friendly establishment in Maine!  We send all our gluten-free
tourists here when they come on vacation. Let me know if you'd like more
explicit directions to get there.)

~~~~~~~~~~~

There is a health food store in Dover that is a bit expensive as health
food stores go, but has a good selection of GF cookies, breads, etc.--
definitely enough to get by on.  It is on Fayette St. If you are at the
center of Dover ( the five-way intersection traffic lights) go west on
Washington, heading towards the post office. Take a right at the first
light onto Fayette, the health food store is on your right, across from
Goodwill.

As for restaurants--I don't eat out much--but for breakfast, Jake's has
ridiculously huge omelets, are accommodate for me, and I have had no
reactions for their food. It is right in downtown next to the Strand
Theater.

~~~~~~~~~

There are a few health food stores in this area, but the Dover store has
a cafe, and it is generally not what I would consider GF, but they may
be willing to assist you if you explain your needs.  It is Dover Natural
Foods, on Chestnut St.

There is a natural foods store in Kittery, Maine called The Rising Tide,
and again, although not GF, the owners are very helpful, and perhaps
would be of assistance to you.  It is located on Rt. 1, off the traffic
circle with Rt. 236, heading south, on the right side, just past
Christie's market/gas station.

The Portsmouth Health Food store is on the corner of Congress and
Maplewood....but I wasn't sure why you made exception to them.

Hampton used to have a health food store run by the same family who ran
Dover, but they sold the Dover store.  The owner of the Hampton store is
a very knowledgable woman named Fran, who is also a nutritionist.  I am
not sure of where it is located.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I live in Dover and it is HARD to eat GF in restaurants here. (Of
course, I'm also a vegetarian that makes it even harder). But I highly
recommend Hampton Natural Foods in Hampton. They have a great salad bar
too (most of the prepared foods are gluten free but a few aren't...ask).
There is a health food store in Dover, but in my opinion, it's not
nearly as good as the Hampton one. Also, the health food section of
Shaws and Shop and Save in Dover carry a fair amount of GF products.

Thanks again to all who responded,

Diana in RI