From:
L and N Matsui <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
L and N Matsui <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 21:20:00 +0000

These are the responses received:

You're in luck. Passover is indeed celiac heaven. The only Passover products
that contain gluten are those that contain matzoh meal, Passover cake flour
and the like. There won't be any "hidden" gluten -- the ingredient lists are
very clear. And if it says "Non Gebrochts," that means it's gluten free
(contains no grains at all). As with any commercial products, there is
always a potential for cross contamination, but I suspect it's a lot less
than during the rest of the year. There are lots of potato-starch based
cakes and cookies available -- in addition to Gruenenbaums, there are also
Hagadda, Messing, Oberlanders, and G & I Kosher Bakery (my personal
favorite, but the most expensive). And everyone (even Streits and
Manishewitz) makes gluten free macaroons.(Macaroon paste is just almonds.) I
order by mail from Schick's bakery in Brooklyn (although they do some
retail, I've never seen their cakes anywhere), which even has a special list
of gluten free products on their website. Most of these bakers don't use any
matzoh meal or Passover flour in their products, so the risk of cross
contamination is probably nil. If you're really lucky, you might even find
gluten free tv dinners (I found knishes, blintzes, roast beef, "breaded"
chicken/turkey cutlets at the Pathmark in Moncey, NY -- all labeled
Non-Grebrochts). They also make ice cream cones, potato noodles, candies and
other dry goods for Passover, some brands of which are gluten free. As long
as you read labels carefully (and have lots of space in your freezer), you
should be fine. Enjoy!

Most people onthe list seem to think that many of the passover products are
GF. You, of course have to watch for the matzoh products, but the potato
startch takes care of that. You're on your own.

I am really sensitive and have been eating them for years. The mixed
cookies,
choc. cake, seven layer are really good. I have never had a reaction and I
react to everything. I did try to contact them years ago but never could get
through. There is another brand which is in yellow boxes that I react to and
the brand strart with O if I remember correctly.  Hope this helps.
The rule is that anything labeled "Kosher for Passover" is gluten free
UNLESS the ingredients list some variant of matzoh meal (like, for example,
cake meal). And that certainly includes hidden gluten sources like flavors.
These people are much stricter about these things than any regular food
manufacturer could be. After all, this is their religion! I just made my
annual pilgrimage to the Kosher market in Boston and stocked up on $150
worth of Kosher For Passover cakes, cookies, jelly rolls, and even frozen
dinners! A couple of the frozen cakes I bought will serve as birthday cakes
over the next few months. Passover is one of my favorite holidays. And no,
I'm not Jewish.