From:
Amy Wordelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 17:53:28 -0500

This is the bread recipe I have gradually developed over the last seven
years.  I start with whole short grain brown rice, rather than rice flour.
I've found that I don't need any other binders such as xanthan gum or
eggs.  It makes a bread about 1 and a half inches high, that holds
together well.  I slice it horizontally for sandwiches and toast.  Note
that there is no added yeast in this recipe, but it is not yeast-free
because it collects yeast from the air as it sets before baking. I also
have this recipe posted on my personal web site at:
        http://www.javanet.com/~loehr/a/gluten.htm

Rice Bread Made From Whole Grain Rice

Ingredients:
     3 cups  short grain brown rice (Long grain brown rice may be used,
          but it will produce a much drier bread.)
     3 cups cold water
     3/4 teaspoon salt
     1 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder (optional, see recipe
          instructions)
        --  Ideally baked in a well-seasoned ten-inch iron skillet with a
heavy glass cover (makes a flat round loaf you can slice horizontally for
sandwiches). A covered casserole dish of similar size will also work, but
the dish needs to be well-oiled, preferably with an oil/soy lecithin
mixture or a gluten-free non-stick spray.

Instructions:
   1.Place the rice and the water in a large bowl, cover with a light
cloth or napkin, and allow the rice to soak in the water for 8-12 hours
(overnight or all day). If you are going to use a blender in step 2, it
works best to soak the rice in two separate containers with 1 and 1/2 cups
of rice and water in each container.

   2. Grind the rice into a batter using either a blender or a food
processor.  If using a blender, place half the water and rice mixture in
the blender and blend on high speed for 1-2 minutes.  To see if the rice
is sufficiently ground, rub a small bit of the batter between your
fingers. The liquid should fall  away leaving small bits of rice with the
texture of table salt.  Repeat using the other half of the rice/water
mixture.  If using a food processor with a four a more cups capacity,
place the entire rice and water mixture in the  processor and grind on
high for 8-12 minutes.

3.After grinding place the batter in a large mixing bowl and cover with a
light cloth or napkin. The cover must allow air to  reach the batter so
that it can ferment naturally with the help of yeasts it collects from the
air. At a room temperature of  68 to 72 degrees, you can allow the batter
to set anywhere from 4 to 24 hours, depending upon your taste in bread:
           4-6 hours:very mild yeast flavor, add baking powder right
                  before baking
          8-12 hours: mild yeast flavor, add baking powder right before
                  baking
          18-24 hours:strong yeast flavor comparable to wheat breads,
                  batter expands because of carbon dioxide bubbles
                  below surface, baking powder is optional (I rarely use it)
      After the dough sets more than 24 hours it will begin to develop
a distinct sourdough flavor.  If the room temperature is high, like 80
degree days without air-conditioning, the setting time will be speeded up
considerably.

   4.After the batter has set for the desired amount of time, stir well,
mixing in the salt and the baking powder (if using). Place the batter  in
a well-oiled pan, cover and bake covered for 50-55 minutes at 350 degrees